New speakers for my str-de635

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Elliott, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Jason_Elliott

Jason_Elliott Auditioning

I have had the STR-DE635 w/ the included HT speakers for a couple of years now. I just purchased some new front speakers and have a question about proper settings for these. As I said I replaced the small satellite speakers in front with a pair of Sony SS-M7A's.SS-M7A's STR-DE635
    My question is in my receiver setup, should I change my speakers from small to large? I am still using the sub that came with the system. It seems like I should set them to large, it sounds better that way, but I want to be sure, I won't damage the new speakers. If I should have it set to large, should I keep it that way for both listening to music and 5.1 movies? Should I have them on large for music with sub off and small for movies with sub on?
    Also,I have noticed people saying they put out 80x2 at 8ohms, I have turned the selector on the back of the receiver to 4ohms, since the speakers say they are 6ohms. Does this change the output? I hope these questions are not too dumb even for the basics area. Thanks in advance.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How large are the woofers in the new speakers and how low do the specs say they go?

3. Jason_Elliott

Jason_Elliott Auditioning

Sorry, I don't have much info on the speakers, they were the floor display.
    The back says Max power input 225w nonclip. The speaker setup looks like 6in, 4in, tweeter.

I found these specs online...

3-way sealed enclosure

Pro-style flux demodulation rings

Minimal-area baffle design

Computer-optimized 24 dB-per-octave crossover

Steep-slope 24 dB/octave crossover

Mineral filled polypropylene woofer and midrange

Audiophile-grade crossover parts

Polymer impregnated silk dome tweeter

Cherry wood veneer

Non-parallel cabinet surfaces

Butyl rubber woofer and midrange surrounds

One-inch thick MDF cabinet walls

Cast magnesium driver frames

Optional WS-M7A speaker stands bring the tweeters to ideal listening height

Fabric dome tweeter

Inch-thick Medium Density Fiberboard cabinet

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Without frequency response numbers, it is hard to tell, but if the largest driver is 6", then you will almost certainly want to set these to small. While most of that info sounds like marketing crap, based on those specs, they sound like very decent.

You could damage them running them large because the 635 cannot handle much of a load, so setting the mains large may push it to clipping at louder levels.

A lot of the time I listen to music with the mains set to large, no sub. You should probably be able to easily switch back and forth with an "analog direct" mode, which I think this receiver has, so you don't have to go back and forth in your setup.