new speakers for $1500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonC@, Aug 18, 2002.

1. DonC@

DonC@ Auditioning

My budget is $1500 for all new 5.1 speakers. My setup is a fairly large multi-purpose room with a TOshiba 50H82 monitor, Toshiba SD-5700 DVD, Pioneer Elite PD-F27 cd jbox, and a Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX receiver. Probably 70/30% movies/music. I'm thinking of going with:

2 Axiom Factory outlet M60ti Mains ($680)
    2 Axiom Factory outlet M2ti surround ($168)
    1 Axiom Factory outlet VP100 center ($198)
    1 SVS 25-31PCi sub ($499)

Anyone have better suggestions for $1500?

Also, anyone recommend using the 50H82 as center speaker and upgrading the mains, surrounds, or sub?

Thanks,
    Don

2. DonC@

DonC@ Auditioning

When i posted the last message, I hadn't looked at the rocket threads. Would a : RS150, RSC100, RS150 for $1099 plus the SVS sub be a better alternative?

3. Steven Bothe

Steven Bothe Extra

I haven't heard the RS150.
    But I have Heard the RS750, RSC200, and RSS300 and liked them allot, so much so I'm going to order some Rockets.

I'm going to Order a RS750, RSC200, and RS150.

The Rockets (at least the ones with the Vifa Tweeter) image very well, so you could get away with-out a center for a while.

Never heard the Axioms, so can't comment.

4. Brian AM

Brian AM Stunt Coordinator

I purchased my Axioms from Marc at Audioshop http://www.audioshop.on.ca/ in Canada...
    2 M80tise
    1 VP150
    2 M22tise
    They were brand new, and less than $1500 shipped 2 day Fed Ex.... pick up yourself a used SVS sub and you'll be in business...

5. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

I have heard the Axiom M3Ti, and I own the nOrh SM 6.9 which has the same tweeter (Vifa XT) as the higher end Rockets, so I think I can offer *some* thoughts.

The Axiom was excellent and imaged very well. Compared to my nOrh 4.0's, it was not as smooth or refined, but had better bass and was QUITE good for the price point. I thought the Axioms were a little on the brite side, but paired up with tubes or a warm sounding (Denon?) amp section, they would be awesome!

I love the Vifa XT tweeter found on the rockets, and I think this would be a step up from the Axioms. HOwever, this tweeter is sensitive to upstream electronics. After getting my nOrh SM 6.9's, I found they were so revealing (a good thing) that they showcased the inadequacies of my Onkyo 787 as pre and amp. I ended up buying a pair of nOrh LeAmp monoblock amps (2 for $495) and that helped to smooth out the sound immensely. If you're running from a receiver only with no plans to upgrade, you should consider the possibility that the Rockets / XT Tweeter may be too good for your current gear. Perhaps someone who has heard the Rocket's implentation of the XT can shed some light on this.

I would also like to make one further suggestion: Consider the nOrh 4.0 video package (5 nOrh 4.0 ceramic drum speakers) for $850. I thought the nOrh 4.0 sounded better, more refined than the Axiom M3Ti with incredible off-axis response. These are a tad unconventional (with generally very high WAF), but still one of the best buys in HT at their price point, IMO. If you're running off a receiver only, these would be my choice.

Cheers!

John G

6. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

You might also look at the PSB Image series or talk to Marc at audioshop about the Dalquist. Do a google search for reviews for any of the speakers that interest you. Lots of good choices out there. Don't forget Paradigm or Energy either. I would get a good center though. The SVS would be great.