New Speakers--budget approx $1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_PxR, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

I am setting up a home theatre system in a medium to large room. I want to buy the components locally and the local hi fi dealer carries Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Mirage, Boston Audio, and Martin Logan. I want 2 towers, a center, and a sub. Any helpful suggestions on 2-3 lines I should particularly research? Thanks!!

2. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Jeff, with only a $1000 budget, you might seriously want to consider nOrh loudspeakers. They are a direct market company so your prices are extremely good. People usually have nothing but good things to say about them. However, they look more like art than speakers. Some wives love them tho. Mine does. Anyway, do some research at www.norh.com. The prices they quote usually include shipping.

However, if you MUST buy from a dealer, your probably can't go wrong with Klipsch. I personally have always liked Klipsch. Some people dont like horns tho.

3. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

Curious- you're only getting 3 speakers and a sub?

For that price, however, two brands that pop into my mind are Ascend and Axiom. Both of these brands are direct market, and many people here seem to vouch for their value.

Ascend Acoustics
    Axiom Audio

4. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Jeff it will be tough to get 3 speakers and a sub out of any of those brands under $1000.

Martin Logan is out of your price range entirely.

Out of the other brands you listed I would lean towards Mirage and Monitor Audio, but these brands to may not even be able to get you all of that under $1000, possibly only may be able to fit two tower speakers under your budget actually.

If I were you I would reserve a time with the dealer of when you can come and do some serious demoing. Let him know your budget and what you are looking to get out of that budget. Then listen to all the recommendations, and let your own ears decide.

Now go listen and stay away from this forum, because it is worthless to a large degree. Here you are saying you want to support your local dealer, and the first two responses tell you to go buy online, and one of those from a company in Malaysia. Shameful.

5. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

6. Andy Sung

Andy Sung Auditioning

Jeff,

Give aperionaudio.com a try. The 5.1 speaker package is about 1400, which might be a little over your budget, but the y sound fantastic. I especially like the 10' sub, not boomy at all, and integrate extremely well with the bookshelf speakers. And best part, they let you demo the speakers inside your home. If you don't like them, simply return them. They even pay for the return shipping if you decide to return them. But I am keeping mine though. They are probably one of the best package you can buy.

7. Andy Sung

Andy Sung Auditioning

Adam,

I totally agree with you. What's wrong with buying your speakers online? I think one of the sponsor here, Bettercables.com is an online store too. These online stores have extremely knowledgable and helpful sales rep, excellent value since they don't have to pay through the distribution channel, and they sell extremely high quality speakers. Another plus of these companies is they let you audition in your own home. Isn't picking the best sounding speakers for you home the ultimate goal here? Just a thought.

8. Jeff_PxR

Well they dealer is having a sale this weekend. So I think I can pick up 2 towers for $500 that would normally be $700. And a sub that would normally be $400 for $300. That is $800. Well--the center may go $300 so that will put me up over $1000 but I can deal with that. (I will buy the 2 rears too but did not put that in this post--I can afford them too.)

As far as supporting the local dealer--I am a small businessman too and really dislike it when peeps buy from the internet--getting no service or ability to get a fast response. Take for example this: I bought my wife a $2000 Meade Autotracking Telescope for Xmas. I live in Tallahassee, FL and there is no retailer here. I bought it on the net. It came and was damaged. I am still waiting for the return of the telescope after sending it back to Meade. Some Xmas present.[​IMG]

9. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Well, best of luck to you anyway, Jeff. I hope you find a good setup for your budget.

10. John Stegman

John Stegman Auditioning

PSB Alpha series will fit that budget. I use a set of the Mini's for my surrounds and they have the same tonal qualities as my B&W mains. Very accurate reproduction for the money.

11. Anthony.Lin

Jeff, the reason for buying over the internet is not the dislike of supporting your local businesses, but rather to get a better value for the money that you've spent.

In audio as with a few other industries, a lot of the cost of a speaker at your local retailer comes from a huge mass-marketing program to advertise the speakers and markups from your local dealer at his B&M store.

Buying through the internet, however, cuts down on most marketing costs and the middleman and often the middleman's costly rent - compared to some online superstores having to spend not much on a large warehouse. For this reason alone many people on the forum feel that the value of buying speakers through the internet from an internet retailer is worth it.

Secondly, as many people here would vouch, you would probably get a lot more for your money if you went DIY for your speakers. It's curious as the audio industry hasn't caught onto this faster, as it's not hard to build your own cabinets and buy a few drivers and you're almost set. Many people who have discovered this have made a business out of it, and while it's hard for the 1-man business to succeed just through B&M stores, the internet makes it easier for him to reach a wider audience.

Taking these into consideration, Scott, I hardly see why my information was largely "worthless". I asked him to consider what many other people consider better value speakers.

Also that being said, I don't think you need to do too much research into your speakers that you mentioned. The problem with internet-based retailers is that a lot of their products aren't carried at B&M stores, so there is no easy way to listen to their lines. Many do offer a 30-45 day return policy, but it's much more hassling to go through that then to drive on over to your local dealer.

Basically, just go and listen to those speakers at the dealer, and let your ears be the judge [​IMG]

12. Anthony.Lin

Also, Jeff, sorry to hear about your bad online experience. I've purchased many items off the internet (including my 5 speakers and receiver), and I think the only damaged good I ever got was a semi-scratched Third Eye Blind CD that I got for like $3 off of eBay.

13. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I think you will find excellent customer support from most Internet direct hi-fi companies. I usually get better service from the net than a do b&m stereo stores. How many b&m's are going to let you try something in your own listening environment paired with your equipment for 30 days and then take it back if your don't like it at that point. You probably discovered the many sites devoted to stereo and HT and seen the amount of people participating on those boards. Just remember how many people you can tell about your bad experience with a company. I think Internet direct companies understand this word of mouth on the net and give excellent service.

Was your telescope direct from Meade or was it from someone else? Remember that with Internet direct sales model you are dealing with the company itself. Not Mr. Jones web site carrying many products from many companies.

That said if your have a good relationship with your b&m go listen to those speakers and decide what sound you like best. Try to listen to them in your own home if possible too.

BTW I have written off an Internet store. Two years ago I order a number of things thru Amazon 4 weeks before X-mas. Two days before X-mas I still hadn't received a thing and had to face the crowds and poor selection available at that point. I also got the pleasure of returning things to them every few days for 2-3 weeks after X-mas. I've never bought anything from Amazon since.

14. Jeff_PxR

Thanks![​IMG]

15. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

Sound Advice in Tallahassee ?
    SA mails out sales circulars to previous customers with a buy one speaker get the second at 50% off about every 4 -6 months. (25% off MSRP) IMHO since the models and mfr selections were not stated in the older circulars this had left SA open to having to sell any brand that a customer wanted to buy, at any price range. The newer circulars now say select models. [​IMG]
    Not sure if these deals are offered to the general walk in public customer without the ad in hand which includes a coupon. If SA is running financing deals (0% interest, etc) in store the sp unadvertised speaker sale is probably running.

Another option that might be worth checking, SA also offers a trade up policy for 1 year on speakers. I bought a 1600.oo pair of main speakers "in the box" that were virtually brand new thanks to a customer trade up for 600.oo, still included the full 5 yr mfr's wty. They are working just fine after 2 years.

Good luck with your search.

16. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Check out the Mirage FRx Speakers if your retailer carriers them. I was in my Local Dealer the other day and they are clearing the FRx stock out and have a limited supply as this line is discontinued. Mirage is making room for there new line of Omni Series Speakers. I could have got FRx 7 towers the matching center and rears for about a $1000 Canadian so this might get you close to your $1000 price mark. I was not ready to buy and I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 7's they are my pick over the Mirage.