What's new

New Speakers and Receiver Advice (1 Viewer)

Tom.K

Agent
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and am ready to buy my first home theater speakers and receiver. Like you I have done a lot of research. My head is swirling with model numbers, specs, prices etc.. I'm sure you know what I mean. Going by rave reviews, customer comments and price I have narrowed it down to the Intimus 5.1 system from Aperion Audio. The system consists of the 532 for LR, 533-VAC Center, 532 for surrounds, and the S-10 Subwoofer. For the receiver I'm kind of hooked on the Yamaha RX-V657. I like the idea of automatically calibrating the outputs to level, distance and parametric EQ. And "on screen display" is important. On the other hand there is the Denon AVR-1906 and the Harman Kardon AVR 235. My TV is a HD Sony CRT. The DVD is an old (non-progressive scan) Panasonic that refuses to die. That will eventually be updated. I would like to keep the total cost of speakers and receiver to $2000-2500.
If you have any thoughts or comments I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Tom Kelley
;)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Are you fixed on the Aperion speakers and just asking about what receiver and DVD player to get, or are you open to other brands of speakes?

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Your old DVD player will not do this 2k to 2.5k system any justice. You might want to consider spending at least a few hundred on the DVD player as well. If you don't have the right electronics in place you will never reach the potential of your new speakers.

Tom.K

Agent
I know the DVD has to be replaced. No, I'm not completely sold on the Aperions. I had thought about the Mirage Omnisats and I've read rave reviews on Paradigms but I don't live near a dealer and they refuse to sell over the internet or by phone. Thanks for the heads up about the Ascends 340. I'll check that out. The room is about 18x19 with 12 foot ceilings. But it has an open area that is connected to a dining room that is about 12x15. I do not expect to play the system at ear crushing levels though.

Tom Kelley

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I know a dealer here in the Chicago area who will sell Paradigm over the phone. Lemme know if you're interested.
He's the largest Paradigm dealer in the midwest.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Tom,
I'd do some listening locally to determine what preferences you like. I'd hate for you to buy the Aperions only to hate them and want to send them back and or not really like them but keep them anyway because you hate to eat the return shipping.

Take some cd's and do some listening locally.

One thing about the auto setup programs, they don't EQ the sub correctly unless you get the HK EZ-Set, Pioneer MCACC with the lower filter(forgot the name), or the Audyssey which is currently on the Denon's.

Tom.K

Agent
Shane,
Thanks for the advice. My experience in auditioning speakers has not been good. The room acoustics are always quite different from your own room. Another problem is trying find places that have decent speakers at reasonable prices. But you have to start somewhere. Shipping is free both ways for the Aperion. Of course that price is probably fixed into the price of the speakers anyway.
Thanks,
Tom

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, I'd be thinking about what percentage of budget will be targeted at speakers, receiver and then DVD player and cables.

If your budget is $2500, I'd be thinking about ~$1800 for speakers, (more if you can) and then $~400 for a receiver and then $300 for a DVD and cables.

With your size room I'd be looking at efficient speakers, that have high sensitivity ratings and can fill a room that size (I know you said modest levels, but you'll want to crank it up sometimes.)

Take a listen to the Klipsch line speakers and the Paradigms too.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Tom,

What you might want to try is order a pair of the Ascend CBM-170s to AB against the Aperions, that way you will have some sort of reference for comparison and evaluation.

The 170s will only cost about $15-20 to return ship which is peanuts for a 30-day in home audition, but I'd wager that you'll end up sending back the Aperions! (Be sure you AB the 170s using a decent sub, since they were not designed to be used alone.)

Just browse through the reviews section on the ascendacoustics.com site, these are probably the best-reviewed speakers I have ever come across and the pricing is amazingly low.

Tom.K

Agent
Eddie,
Do you have the Ascend system? If so what speakers do you have? I have been salivating over the 340's but don't see any pro reviews on them.

Tom

MikeNg

Second Unit
Tom,

Personally I'd portion the budget to spend 50% on speakers and the balance on, the balance!

At that price point you're probably looking at sat/sub systems, or get a better 2.1 system to build on.

When auditioning in the store, keep in mind that this is their 'best foot forward' and will vary with what you'll experience at home. Which just means that the level of performance you get at home is different. Additional colorations/reflections/etc. are adding to your home experience. What you should come away with is a general characteristic of the speaker. Ideally the store will let you take the speakers home to aduition on your own gear, but typically megastores like BB and CC don't allow that (unless that's changed recently and I'm out of touch!).

Someone recently posted a similar question on builing a system in your price range on this forum. I think doing a quick search will yield more info for you. This is a pretty common question around these parts. Good luck.

Mike

eddieZEN

Second Unit
> Ideally the store will let you take the speakers home to aduition on your own gear, but typically megastores like BB and CC don't allow that (unless that's changed recently and I'm out of touch!).

Actually the megastores do allow that: it's called their no-hassle return policy. : )

Tom.K

Agent
Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I am going to get a pair of the CMT-340s and a Hsu STF-2 Subwoofer. It certainly is better than what I have now which is a pair of Yorkville Sudio monitors that I used to use for recording music.
I read many favorable comments about the 340s and the Hsu STF-2. If they pan out I'll get a pair of CBM-170s for surround and a CMT-Center.

Tom Kelley

eddieZEN

Second Unit
smart move! The CMT center is especially worth every penny. Even my wife who is not at all interested in audio, now will only watch TV through the VCR tuner so that she can get the dialogue through that center speaker.

Tom.K

Agent
Eddie I have a question. Why is it necessary to use the VCR to get the TV audio through the center speaker? I have audio outputs on my Sony HD TV. I can switch between fixed and variable. Wouldn't that go through the center, Left and Right speakers? The receiver is a Yamamha HTR-5860. I was hoping the center speaker would be on all the time as my wife (don't tell her I said this) must be hard of hearing as she has the volume way up where I can't stand it. I thought maybe with better speakers it would be more intelligible and the volume would not have to be quite as high. If you catch my drift.

Tom

eddieZEN

Second Unit
oh, if your TV has audio outputs then never mind about that.

What you could do is increase the speaker level of your center channel relative to your front L/R.

If that still doesn't work then yeah, look at buying another center speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks