New speaker hiss on Marantz 5200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by norman_maclean, Nov 14, 2002.

1. norman_maclean

I am wondering if anyone can help. I am by no means a home theater expert, but after reading this forum a lot last year I ended up with a Marantz 5200, JBL Northridge speakers, and a Sony Sub.

When I first hooked up my Marantz there was considerable hiss to the speakers. I went back to the dealer and put in a dvd i had noticed it on on their example setup, and there was no hiss. I traded in my 5200 for a newer one (i had one of the first ones), and this solved the problem. I now had home theater better than any one I had ever heard. I LOVED it.

I have since moved, and reset up everything. I notice a hiss in the speakers now. I don't think it is bad as original, and maybe i just listen louder now or the speakers are closer (the rears are right on the sides of the couch practically. Is there a way for me to test if this is a 'normal' hiss or if something is wrong? Last night I watched Beautiful Girls on dvd (old dvd, only 2.0 DD track). I could hear a hiss coming from my rears the whole time..I almost disconnected them. Someone else I admit prolly wouldn't even have noticed..but since they are mine and I want the best sound it really bugged me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

1) You need to determine if the hiss is in the movie sound track or not. Try a newer movie with a good 5.1 DD or DTS track, rather than a Pro-Logic track.

2) Since you only noticed this after moving, perhaps it is noise introduced by your AC line. Try using a power line conditioner.

3. norman_maclean

Your reply has me excited for determining what it might be. I have a ton of power cords back there by my speaker wire...could that possibly create a hiss? If so what is the solution I mean i have like 8 things plugged into a power strip back there. That could cause interference?

EDIT: I was talking with someone at work and they informed me you mean the actual power coming in. It makes sense the line could be bad as this is a very old house. What would I need to get for a Line Conditioner..are they basically all the same or do I need to worry about quaility etc. I have a LOT of things pluged into this outlet (phone, vcr, tivo, dvd player, xbox, tv, reciever, cable box, sub, playstation)...

Also the first time i noticed the hiss was on the lightening shattering ball THX thing on The Phantom Menace disk, I had it turned way up to demonstrate to a friend and I could hear a hiss, it was the first time i had noticed that...so i dont' think it is the dvd track....

4. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I'm not saying this will absolutely cure your problem, but perhaps you should check out an audio-grade power bar like Monster Power HTS 1000 or something similar. Stay away from $25 Radio Shack power strips.

Visit audioreview.com for consumer reviews on power bars / line conditioners. Some people say they work, others notice no difference. I would imagine it depends on how bad your neigbourhood power delivery is.

A third possibility is that at high volumes hiss is normal for the 5200.

5. norman_maclean

Well, the problem was the cable. I assume an issue with the cable grounding. Having cable company fix it is not an option as I live in a duplex and we split the cable a ton of ways, and the other address is actually where the bill goes to.

I saw some threads on this and i think there is a nice little adapter that might work. Will try it. For now just have to unplug the cable when watching a dvd...