What's new

new soundcard noise (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I just got an Audigy2 Platinum and expected it to be splendid.

Well..... I've had some serious difficulty with it. There are multiple places to adjust the sound. 5.1 passthru, speaker settings, etc. It is a bit confusing and the documentation sucks.

I'm going to call soundblaster support tomorrow, but I thought I'd post here to see if this is a common problem.

Right now what I am getting is two different issues.

My PC speakers are picking up alot of noise from the system. I can hear a slight backgtround noise when the HD is accessed or the mouse moves, etc. It is slight but noticeable.

I also am having trouble with the SPDIF out. I've been tweaking the hell out of it and am not sure that I am getting a 5.1 signal out of it. (I think so, but not sure)

The receiver seems to think it is 5.1, but the sound is very flat. Explosions no longer rock the house. I have to turn the volume higher than I did with my old DVD player and there is slight but noticeable noise too. It is different sounding from the PC speakers noise - more like static.

I placed it in the bottom slot, furthest from my aiw9700 and second furthest from my radeon7000 (monitor/projector).

It is a pentium system, Asus p4p800 (disabled onboard sound).

One more thing, when I hook the SPDIF up to the AIW output with their adapter there is no sound. There are just too many options and I'm stuck.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
As far as noise is concerned it 'could' be bandwidth. Are you using the serial ata drives? I can't remember. If you are using IDE then it could be bandwidth cause I think the ide controller shares the pci bus (I'm not totally sure though).

What pci slot do you have the soundblaster card in? I keep reading threads where they recommend putting it in a slot away from other cards. People keep saying slot 4, but I'm not sure what thats relative to, but it looks like you probably did that already. It shouldn't be sharing any irq's with anything else. I know that'll cause problems sometimes with creative lab cards.

I'm not too sure about the 5.1 sound config though, I've never had a 5.1 sound card or used one before so I'll be in the same boat as you in a few months.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar problem with my setup concerning background noise. It is most likely your AIW9700. Sometimes to best isolate where the noise is coming from you need to open up the volume control and selectively mute each volume control. Be sure to go to option-->properties to make sure each volume control has a checkmark so that it appears with the rest of the volume controls. For me I find that if I mute the Line-In/Mic control it eliminates most of the background noise. Of course, you'll need to unmute this when you want to get volume when watching TV with the AIW. Hope this helps.

John

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Well, stupid me, I had the mic in jack turned all the way up. Muted it and noise gone. Now to tweak the 5.1 -....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks