What's new

New Sony WV Let down :( (1 Viewer)

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
Today I had the chance to compare the new 57wv600 to both the 57XBR2 and the 57HW40, the new WV being located between the XBR and the HW. All three were using the crappy internal video source generated by CC. I started by setting or checking the convergence on all three sets. I also set the video settings to pro mode and checked all of the other video settings such as brightness contrast, sharpness and color temp. After checking them I saw that the XBR2 was way ahead of the pack in clarity and 3D depth. Next in line was the HW40 and then finally the WV600. I did not check the cabling of each set. I guess I could have swapped the cables/feeds from one set to the other. Maybe next time. Also the glare on the WV600 was the worst of the three also. I was very disheartened when finished. I was hoping for more.
I asked my wife to rank the 3 also. It took her all of 10 seconds to rank them XBR, HW, then WV :frowning:

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
I went back today. CC must have a bad video distribution system. Today the XBR2 looked horrible and the WV600 looked the best. I will need to have DVD players and satellite feeds hooked directly to the sets to be absolutely sure. I must admit I feel much better after seeing these results.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Wes,
My previous reply was tongue-in-cheek.

Having gone through the shopping process last September, I can testify that what you see in the store is not what you'll see at home.

If you can get them to let you hook up the same player with the same cables to a variety of different sets and then play with the user controls you can get a better idea of what dvd will look like at home, but it still won't tell you what your other sources are going to look like.

Good Luck!!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the 3 next to each other. Both the XBR and HW have been out for weeks and weeks, with contrast at 100%. The whites are dingy, and the picture is dull. The new one, with the contrast at 100%, is still white and looks better, if that's the word. But over all I think the picture of the WV looks the same as the HW.

I was not blown away by a great new picture with the Sony like I was the Hitachi and Panny. Both of those are a clear improvement over last models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks