1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Sony STB and Pioneer 643HD5 RPTV - Setup Questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Oct 12, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I am buying a new RPTV and just found a brand new Sony HD-100 STB at a bankrupcy sale for $200, so I bought it. Initially, I want to use it with only analog cable and OTA HD input, no DirectTV at all.
    First, can I use this unit without DirectTV?
    Next, what should I hook up to what? I will be running coax, from my antenna, to the OTA HD input of the HD100, but, am wondering if it would be better to run my analog cable directly into my Pioneer RPTV and use its' doubler, or run it into the Sony STB and let it convert it to 1080i?
    Are there other pitfalls that I need to be aware of when using the Sony STB and Pioneer in this setup?
    Thanks for your help!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I dont have all the answers to all your questions but I do know that you can use the STB for over the air with out subscribing to DTV. The TV does have a nice line doubler but I think if go straight in to the tv you will have to change inputs. I dont know if the Sony STB converts everything to 1080I like my Toshiba DST-3000. Good luck on what ever you decide.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Juan,
    Yes, the Sony STB does upconvert everything to 1080i just like the Toshiba. Does the upconversion on your Toshiba STB look better than the doubling on your RPTV? Does it look better for all sources?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

John,
    The Pioneer line doubler is very good, I think you should at least look at it both ways. Don't be surprised if the direct cable connection looks better. But let's us know, one way or the other.
    BTW, how about a full review once you have it set-up?
    ------------------
    Dan

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Dan: The line doubler and stretch mode on the Pioneer were the deciding factors for me in getting this TV. I went out today and bought a Winegard HD8200 Antenna and a Winegard AP8275 antenna preamp so I'm hoping to start pulling in HD tonight. Of course, now all I need is the Pioneer Delivered to my house... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor