New Sony SACD/DVD/Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wilcox, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

2. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Once again, Sony is ignoring DVD-A. When it becomes less anal-retentive and recognizes that SACD is lagging because of both hardware and software issues; it may decide to get its head out its corporate ass and support both formats.
    DVD Video players with DVD-A and SACD should get down to the 300 dollar range soon. I would wait.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Peter, what are the hardware and software issues with SACD relative to DVD-Audio? How is SACD lagging in the hardware and software departments? Please explain. Sony co-developed SACD with Philips, so why should we expect Sony to include DVD-Audio playback? A lot of manufacturers are including DVD-Audio capability in its DVD players, but DVD-Audio is hardly taking over the music scene. Look at the paltry amount of software that has been released this year. Sony's ignoring of DVD-Audio is not only to be expected given its stake in SACD, but it may not be a bad decision based on the state of DVD-Audio at present. The bottom line: Don't expect Sony to help out DVD-Audio. If you want DVD-Audio, look at other manufacturers.
    Instead of pointing the finger at Sony for not including DVD-Audio capability in its components, which is to be expected, point the finger at Warner for dropping the ball completely with software. Silverline is releasing lackluster live performances of rock bands on DVD-Audio with no discrete stereo tracks, and Warner is releasing bupkus. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Really, why should Sony support DVD-Audio? Because you want it to?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, I have heard a bit about these Sony DVD/SACD/receivers. They are interesting. It is good to see that they will be ES components. Perhaps they will be of high quality. My concern, however, as with most any integrated component, is that there will be compromises to both the SACD and receiver sections. In other words, neither the SACD player or receiver portions may perform up to the standards of separate ES SACD players and receivers. Of course, the integrated components are cheaper than a lot of ES separate combinations out there. This is another reason why the integrated components could be compromised in terms of performance. I may be wrong, of course, so let's wait and see.
    Fortunately, Sony is supposed to be releasing new A/V receivers to replace the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES. However, it is not clear whether Sony will release separate SACD players to eventually replace the 'C222ES and 'C555ES. Time will tell. I just hope Sony doesn't move exclusively to integrated components and DVD/SACD players. I fear it might. Hopefully Sony will release new SACD/CD players.
    Something that bothers me is that Sony has not announced plans to release non-ES integrated components. Well, Sony has included SACD in its home-theater-in-a-box systems. However, DVD/SACD/receivers could sell well at Best Buy and Circuit City. I'm not sure why Sony would only sell such integrated components in its ES line. Again, I fear these integrated components will be compromised. Why introduce compromised performance into your best product line? Many buyers of ES components want performance first and foremost and will pay for it. Sony should stick with separates in the ES line and leave the integrated components to its budget series. Many people buying budget components appreciate convenience. I feel many would see the integrated components at Best Buy and Circuit City and appreciate the ability to get everything in one box (minus speakers, of course) at a low price. This is why home-theater-in-a-box systems are popular with the masses. The masses are not so likely to look at the integrated components and worry about compromised performance. Perhaps Sony doesn't want the integrated components to directly compete with the home-theater-in-a-box systems. I don't know. Anyway, I'm just giving my opinion on the whole thing. I'll shut up now. [​IMG]