New Sony RM-VL900 remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken_VW, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Ken_VW

Ken_VW Extra

I just received my new Sony VL900 last evening. Seems like a great remote....but I do have one overall question already.
    It controls my Toshiba TV better than the original remote.
    It controls the basic functions of my Onkyo HTS650 receiver, my Panasonic CP67S DVD player, my cheap Memorex VCR, & my RCA Satallite box.
    I am wondering after some hands on for a couple of hours, there are numerous buttons on the amp that aren't exactly basic functions. (various audio choices, buttons that allow you to adjust each speakers balance with the others, Stereo, Surrond,etc,etc.
    My DVD player remote seems even worse, much due to the 5-disc tray. there are many buttons not represented on the Sony remote.
    I am wondering now, was I wrong in thinking that this would completely replace all my remotes? In basic function it will. I won't have to touch my TV, VCR, or Sat remotes but the receiver and DVD player are giving me 2nd thoughts. If I do program some of the buttons to do this and that, they won't be labeled as such.
    I have used the "learn" mode on a few buttons, as well as entering the needed codes, it even did a code search for the VCR and found one that works perfect! It is a good unit. Was I expecting too much out of this unit? This is my 1st HT so I'm in a learning curve. I am regretting buying the 5-disc player, I believe that would have simplified things somewhat.
    I need a few more hours in the saddle I realize, but I could return it and opt for a AV-3000 maybe?? Or just get satisfied with what this will control.
    thanks for any input
    Ken

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Ken: I like and recommend the Sony 900 as a good universal remote in it's price range. And for most users, it does what they're looking for.
    But if you want to duplicate every single command on every remote you use, then you're going to have to spend more $$.
    Will the Sony 3000 do the job? Without question, it is certainly more capable than the 900. But it brings some other "issues" to the table too. It is a touchscreen versus a button remote. It's a good deal larger to use and hold. And while you can choose several function labels for the screen, there is still a limit (and that limit may cause you problems.)
    My advice is to take a look at www.remotecentral.com and go to Daniel's Clicker Picker link. Take the "test" to help you determine what type of remote might be a good one for you. This will at least help you to get a better idea of what might be a better match for you.
    (IMO, two remotes that are closer to what you're looking for would be the mostly touchscreen Phillips Pronto Neo or the button-based Home Theater Master MX-500. They are more money than the 900 but they WILL do everything you want...)

3. Ken_VW

Ken_VW Extra

Thanks Chuck,
    You pretty much answered my question right on. I kinda figured as much but wanted to hear it from someone else.

I don't really want to wrap up mucho dollars in a remote. As stated I only had the first 2 hour or so to fool with it. I have spent some more time with it and the more I mess with it, the better I like it. I think its definatly a keeper. The learn function is Awesome, and the lack of backlighting (the major negative comment I've heard) is of no importance to me at all.

I did return my panasonic 5 disc DVD player for its single drawer brother. I am much happier with it. Simplicity is good. I still have a 5 disc CD player that I can put back in the mix if I have the need for multiple audio CD's

I just finished programming the sony remote volume +/- buttons to control the volume thru the amp on every component EXCEPT the TV, where the same buttons then control the tv volume for watching tv w/out the surround system being on. Fantastic.

Thanks again for the response chuck,

Ken