What's new

New Sony HD Satellite receiver? (1 Viewer)

A salesman at a high end Sony specialty store in my area told me that Sony is coming out with their new HD Satellite receiver this month. They had quit manufacturing their HD receiver last year and it has not been available anywhere lately. Does anyone know if this is true? I have a new Sony 65" (KP-65WV600) with a DVI-HDTV interface. Will the new Sony HD satellite reciever have a DVI-HDTV? We do not have "terrestrial" HD broadcasts or HD cable in out area yet so I would really like to get an HD satellite, and would want to get the Sony if it has a DVI-HDTV connection. Thanks.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
It's the HD200, actually made by LG (parent company of Zenith). It has DVI & component video outputs. The box is getting rave reviews from avsforum.com members (look in the 'HDTV Hardware' area there). Specs can be found at crutchfield.com

MikeM

Screenwriter
The HD200 sounds like a solid improvement over the much maligned HD100 Sony previously released, but I still can't get over the price tag for the HD200. 799.99??

The Hughes E86 is less than half that at some retailers, and if you don't need DVI, or don't want to support that format, then the Hughes is the way to go.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
The e86 is my 4th HD box. I had the RCA DTC100, which was good for its time; the Toshiba DST3000, which is the same box as the e86; and the Samsung SIR-T150 (very good picture quality, but only OTA).

All the above boxes aren't bad, but the new Sony HD200 & Zenith SAT520 should offer a lot more ... better HD picture quality, much better upconversion of SD material, more stretch/zoom options, better/faster guide, more connectivity & significantly better OTA reception sensitivity. You don't "need" DVI, but it should theoritically provide optimal picture when connected to some of the new displays that accept DVI.

It looks like the new Sony & Zenith will essentially be the same box. I ordered the Zenith based on reviews for its previous DTV1080 HD box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks