What's new

New Sony Flaship Receiver. (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to doubt that the Sony reciever would be in the 7k range. For it to be in that price range would sugest that Sony thinks this is in the same leauge as a McIntosh :laugh: :laugh:. Although there is some good Sony gear out there. Sony recievers including the new one mentioned in this thread, will not compete with high end audio. I would be supprised if it can tango with the Denon 5803 IMHO. I would still be interested in hearing it and seeing the specs. I think Sony is going to have to compete with much better product for the money.

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely go for the Aragon stuff myself, much prettier and full on seperates. Wht benefit would a full digital amp have? At some point the digital signal has to be converted to analog and amplified and sent to the speakers, there is no way around this as far as I can tell. Mabye they are using some ultra fancy BASH type setup but it can't be 7000 USD.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I would be supprised if it can tango with the Denon 5803 IMHO.
I think you are in for a surprise because IMHO, the 5803 could not even keep up with the 5700 (Awesome receiver and still the best for DD/DTS) with all channels driven.

JackS

Supporting Actor
One thing or sure, there will be plenty of revues with comparisons with this receiver and the big Onkyos, Denons and Pioneers. I think the only thing that might work against sales, is if the Sony's street price is substantially above the rest. It should be interesting.

JackS

Supporting Actor
BTW, Someone pointed out elsewhere, that this is an integrated amp and mot a receiver. I don't know, but I feel sure it will be a recever by the time we get it.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The DIGITAL AMPLIFIER is the key to this as its completely different than what we are used to and its 200wpc x7.
If its digital amplification what would explain the size of its big ass. If only it should be smaller than others.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Personally I just want Sony to produce an updated version of the TA-E9000es preamp. This is still one of the better preamps under 2K almost 5 years after introduction.

It is kind of amusing seeing this new Sony dissed before it even hits the shelf. :crazy: Say what you will, Sony has been known to produce excellent designs, especially for their initial product of a newer technology.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sony recievers including the new one mentioned in this thread, will not compete with high end audio.
This seems like a premature statement until people have a chance to audition the gear.

I have always preferred high end brands like Audio Research which constitutes much of my front end system, but Sony has really been on the ball lately. Their SACD multi-channel demo at HiFi 2001 had Sony high end speakers and they sounded very good.

I am going to withhold judgment on any new ES piece given recent history. Plus the i-link and new SACD player could add quite a bit of sonics by letting more music through.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks