New Sony Flaship Receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TanD, Mar 9, 2003.

1. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

2. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

Damn...that's sharp. Pretty tall profile for some shelves to handle. [​IMG]

3. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

My god that thing is ugly, I love Sony gear but yuck. I don't think I would wont that anywhere it could be seen, maybe if it wasn't for that gross color I could handle it but eww thats just nasty[​IMG] Any-who it dose look like it should have some serious balls to it, so it dose make me wonder what kinda power it puts out & just what kinda fun toys are on board[​IMG]

4. chris_hunigan

chris_hunigan Stunt Coordinator

Man I have to agree with Mike. That is a damn/nice looking receiver...My guess the price is around $3k or more. I would be suprised if it is around $2k...

Joe...I have to disagree with the look of the reciever...I like the color and look of the unit. Keep in mind, that most metallic champaign color recievers are mostly prototypes for most CES shows to display... It will most likely be black or silver (if produced).

Its funny how Flagship recievers now-a-days are not affordable anymore... Its getting to a point where it is now becoming a law of deminishing returns... But if you can afford them, they are more than worth the jump...

Cree

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'll bet it's not that high. To me it Looks like the photo was squished just like I've seen on some websites of other products. Audio Review comes to mind on the Panasonic 200 Receiver.

6. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

Chris/Joe,

Actually, that brushed gold finish is very common in the far east and in Europe. Doesn't fly here (especially in Indiana), except in high-end audio circles.

7. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

I dunno Big Will...if that was true the volume control would have flattened one way or the other.

8. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Someone in the Audio/Video Sources forum posted this about the unit:

TA-DA9000ES price: $7000
    7 x 200w
    TA-DA9000ES and SCD-XA9000ES connects SACD through iLink

So there is a matching high-end SCD player that the new receiver can connect to via i-Link a la Pioneer Elite (see Audio/Video Sources forum for pictures). Apparently Sony is the developer and patent holder fothe i-Link technology that Pioneer licensed but until now, didn't implement it in their own gear.

Wow, but $7000 for a receiver? I would bet that price drops considerably before it hits U.S. shores. After all, anyone looking for gear at less than even half that price is probably looking for separates!

9. Daniel Alan

Daniel Alan Agent

I definately agree with victor, if you have $7000 for electronics you could be doing a huge disservice to yourself if you don't get (or at least seriously consider) seperates

10. Karl Erik Sylthe

The prices in Norway are expected to be:
    TA-DA9000ES; Ca NOK 35000,- (5.000 USD)
    SCD-XA9000ES; Ca NOK 30000,- (4.250 USD)

11. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Here is a tranlations of both units from another website the credit for the translation is listed below.

Sony introduces a new high-end series of HiFi components that illustrates the potential of new digital formats for users who are willing to invest in the best in Home Theatre equipment. The new 9000 series includes Sony's flagship multi-channel digital amplifier, TA-DA9000ES, Super Audio CD player SCD-XA9000ES and the 1000W subwoofer SA-WX900.

– New digital formats like DVD-Video and Super Audio CD will revolutionize Home Entertainment. Sonicly they will allow for a surround-sound experience which is so realistic that it feels like being on the movie set or in the studio, says Ansgar Raastad, head of products at Sony Norway.
    – The 9000 series is the result of a extensive development program, and shows what can be achieved with this new technology. Super Audio CD is marvellous, and the way these new components take advantage of the potential is truli impressive.

The heart of the new series from Sony is the TA-DA9000ES, a digital multi-channel amplifier, furnished with seven separate channels, each delivering 200W. The amplifier also comes with a i.Link (IEEE1394) interface, which provides a simple connection with very high quality to the correspondingly equipped multi-channel SACD player SCD-XA9000ES. This interface supports the SACD's Direct Stream Digital (DSD) signal. The TA-DA9000ES also comes with decoders for Dolby Digital EX, dts-ES, dts 96/24 aswell as Dolby Pro Logic II.

The SCD-XA9000ES player represents the best in both multi-channel and stereo SACD aswell as conventional CD playback. The new player has an integrated "tri-powered" D/A converter system which allows for considerably lower levels of interference while reproducing the wide frequency spectrum associated with SACD. This means that the SCD-XA9000ES is the best multi-channel SACD player on the market.

Combined with the new digital amplifier and the i.Link coupling, these components reaches new levels of acoustic purity and multi-channel integrity. To make an alternative placement of the loudspeakers in the room possible, Sony has integrated their Multi-Channel Speaker Management System. Thanks to a new double laser pick-up, developed to read the different SACD and CD layers, playback of CD-R and CD-RW discs are possible.

The specifications of the ES (Extremely High Standard) series includes gold-plated line out terminals and a separate headphone connector. A double R-core transformer takes care of the separate needs for sound and digital circuitry power supplies. Outputs include one optical and one coaxial digital connector aswell as an analog 5.1 output. The infra-red remote control provides direct access to individual music. SACD and CD-Text displays information on a dot matrix display.

The third component in the 9000 series caters to the needs of those who demand the best throughout the whole spectrum of sound. – From high-definition treble speakers to earth-rumbeling bass. The new Sony SA-WX900 subwoofer comes with a whopping 1000 Watts feeding two 3000 mm speaker elements. The integrated digital amplifier is designed to provide the ultimate in bass for all types of music – From reagge to the most intricate orchestral works. SA-WX900 has RCA inpu and speaker input/output terminals.

TA-DA9000ES and SCD-XA9000ES will be available in Europe in October 2002 while the SA-WX900 will arrive in August 2003.

Recommended price, including taxes
    TA-DA9000ES: NOK 35,000 (~$4550)
    SCD-XA9000ES: NOK 30,000 (~$3900)
    SA-WX900: NOK 8,000 (~$1040)

----------

Note: In Norway a SACD-XA777ES costs NOK 28,000 (~$3640) and a DVP-NS905 goes for around NOK 5,500 (~$715).

/Tiny Translative Effort.

Tiny_Turtle

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I would never look at a receiver for 7K. At that range and for that matter for half that, separates is the only way to go, IMHO. I dont know how Sony even hopes to sell these units for that price. And I do agree the unit looks ugly (to my eyes that is).

13. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

14. terence

terence Supporting Actor

That's where my 7 grand would go! I could not agree more Darrel.

15. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

The market here will be for those who purchase the big receivers and not those more interested in seperates.

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It's priced along the same lines as the Denon 5803 and its cousin.

The DIGITAL AMPLIFIER is the key to this as its completely different than what we are used to and its 200wpc x7.

This would easily explain the cost.

17. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that the Sony is somewhat comparitively priced to the Denon, Pioneer, B&K, etc, even though arguably it might not have the same pedigree in terms of sound reproduction as those other units do.
    As for the digital amplifier, this could be Sony's first foray into the idea, which seems like if implemented correctly could prove beneficial for DD and DTS tracks. But I would stay away from digital amplifiers for a while.

18. AlvaroD

AlvaroD Auditioning

It's not only Digital amplification, it's a FULL digital concept from SACD disc content right through the speakers output.

It's totally different than the things we're used to, separates included.

Btw, in a full digital concept, separates looses much of their interest.

And I am a separates guy myself ... in the analog world [​IMG]

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have to agree with Joe Tilley, that unit is ugly
    [​IMG] . Am interested in seeing what features it has but doubt I would ever concider it? IMHO I would most likely prefere the Denon 5803, Pioneer Elite 49TXi, Sunfire Ultimate reciever or the B&K.

20. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Why is everyone assuming the price is $7k? I think it won't be that high but rather more comparable to the 49TXi price. I don't think this unit is ugly at all but looks like sound is also relative I guess [​IMG]