What's new

New Sony ES receivers... crappy digital sound?? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I had the Sony AVD-S50ES for a few days earlier this fall and it did sound like crap, or was it ka-ka?;) It had a sound that was very different from the amps I've always been accustomed to. It distorted on 2 of 3 stereo SACD's I played on it. When digital amps distort, it sounds like the Starship Enterprise's phasers are broken or something. The amps would distort for 1-3 seconds and then go back to normal. Normal didn't sound right to me either. I was worried the unit would damage my speakers. I sent that piece of crap back. Digital amps are an unproven commodity as far as I'm concerned, for now.

kevitra

Second Unit
The S50/C70 are *nothing* like the 2000/3000ES. I have had both in my system and the S50 was very harsh. It never made sounds like what you stated though.

The 2000/3000 sound wonderful to me, and I've had quite a few amps in my system (Rotel, Elite, Denon, Jolida tubes). The 2000ES is doing great driving my ACI Sapphires. It is a bit lacking in functionality, but it makes up for it with it's sound.

dave-CA

Auditioning
Hi Guys

I'm new to the home theatre forum and this is my first post. Anways I own a Sony STR DA2000ES and the sound quality to me is awesome, but I noticed a lot of peopple are not giving to many good comments on ths 2000ES,which really surprised me. I'm sure there are other recievers that are better out there, crappy sounding really surprised me, but I think Sony has really taken digital technology to whole new level. Thanks everyone.

P.s. How do you qoute a comment on here?

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned a Sony 9000ES and it was superb. I went with a B&K, as I have turned into a B&K bigot, but IMO the Sony belongs near the top of the food chain. :D

JackS

Supporting Actor
Never believed there was much to "burn-in" but have seen too many posts on many forums stating theres a huge difference as time goes by.
Still simple to check-out. Turn it on and leave it on for a few days, that should dispell any doubts you may have on weather burn-in is for real or simply an ongoing wives tale.

chelentano

Agent
Another advantage of digital amp is avoidance of DA/AD conversions. For instance when you play CD on analog amp, you convert digital to analog and have potenial for noise and loss of quality. But when you play that CD via digital optical output and digital amplifier, your sound remains in digital domain unaltered.

For that reason my all-in-one digital Sony AVD-C700ES receiver/SACD changer has spectaculer SACD playback (there is even no interconnct cables involved)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting that you would make those comments because the arguably highest fidelity format still remains vinyl, which is an analog format.

There's no DA/AD with SACD via analog either, only D/A, since you are using an analog connection (though I know some receivers may re-digitize the signal for bass management). SACD sounds quite spectacular on my system via analog too.

dave-CA

Auditioning
I owned a older Sony(model STR-AV920 came out 1991)that had .03 THD and currently use the DA2000ES which literaly sounds so much better than my older unit with the .03 THD. I don't think THD has that much of an influence on sound quality.I think the 2000ES has superb digital sound and not tinny at all. I have a klpich sub-woofer installed and 2 optimus 15inch bass reflex speakers connected and I'll be hard pressed to find tinniness in the music or movie soundtracks. And this is all connected with optical digital inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks