1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

new Sony ES receivers at Crutchfield!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Razvan V, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Crutchfield site. Sony's new flagship, the DA5ES, doesn't seem to be in the same league as the DA777ES, Sony's best receiver ever. There's no mention of parallel push amplification, the front door is not motorized, the overall look is closer to the 333/444/555es v series than to the 777es. No mention of its weight or where the receiver is made, Japan ( 777es) or Malaysia ( the v series).
    Razvan

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

You sure about the front door not being motorized? If you take a look at the XL picture they have of the model on Crutchfield's website, you'll see that there is a small "door open" button. The front panel of the receiver seems to indicate that it has a discrete 6-ch. amp (although I highly doubt it does DTS-ES Discrete or THX Surround EX).
    Pro Logic II; hmmm, neat. Now I'm a bit puzzled as to why Sony couldn't add this to any of their non-ES receivers. It's not that expensive to implement.
    ------------------

3. Razvan V

Yes, I'm sure that it's not motorized. It should have said open/close if it were motorized. I'm 99% sure that their new flagship is nowhere close to the 777es in sound quality. I wonder if they'll release a better flagship later, based on their new separates. The 777es was made to compete with the Denon 4800, the DA5ES can't compare to the Denon 4802, that's why I hope that they'll release something better later. I expect the DA5ES to sound better than the 444/555es but not as good as the 777es.
    Razvan

4. Razvan V

In fact the DA3ES doesn't have DPL II. Of all the Sony receivers the DA5ES seems to be the only one having DPL II.
    Razvan

5. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

6. Razvan V

No, I'm not basing my prediction on the motorized door but on the way the Crutchfield site describes the new flagship. When the 777es was available they repeatedly emphasized the fact that it's based on the Sony separates and that it has parallel push/pull amplification (in my opinion its best feature together with the Burr Brown DACs). They also mentioned its weight, 54 pounds. Nothing special about the DA5ES, just a zillion zones and remotes that nobody cares about. It seems to me that Sony put their money in features and not sound quality. Probably the DA5ES will sound as bad as the 333/444/555Es series which were horrible.
    Razvan

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Sony put their emphasis on features not sound quality? What a shocker!

8. Razvan V

The DA777ES is a great receiver, a classic. I expected their new flagship to be similar to the 777 but it isn't. The 777 was probably nothing but an accident.
    Razvan