What's new

New SONY DVP NS715P Review (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
For those that have had this unit a few days now, any 'sticky' moments?

I bought this player then returned it due to hanging,skipping forward etc.

The pic was a dramatic improvement over my old Pioneer DV-C302D, and I would highly recommend the video side (except for the glitches)

I am now in a holding pattern waiting to see if I just had a 'lemon' and doing a little more research before trying another player.

Linus

Auditioning
I've had mine for a few weeks and have had absolutely no problems.

We just got done watching Jimmy Newtron on it with my son.

I've watched Gladiator, Bad Boys, MIB, True Lies, Toy Story 2, Spy Kids and a few other misc DVD's that i cant remember.

It does indeed play SVCD flawlessly. Also plays Mp3's and regular CD's great.

I got mine at Circuit City for $179! Great deal and i love their return policy.

Also, i haven't had any glitches, studders, or pauses in movies?

I've yet to encounter any problems over the past 3 weeks and i have to say i love it so far!

MikeM

Screenwriter
Well, I'm sad to say that I had to take this nice little machine back to Best Buy today. I did some A/B tests on the picture quality of the Progressive output, and it was extremely poor.

When I first bought the unit, I fell in love with the features. It played my DVD-R without any problems at all, and on super cheap DVD-R media no less! But after really being able to test out this player, the picture quality was extremely poor for a progressive output player.

Perhaps this is the Chroma Bug that others are talking about. Since this was my first viewing on this bug, I'm not sure if this is the exact problem, but the edges and colors seem off.

I replaced this player with the new Panasonic RP62 and so far so good. I can immediately see a difference in picture quality. The Panasonic looks much sharper and vivid.

The bad news is that this new Panasonic RP62 chugs and stops on my DVD-R, but that could be attributed to the type of piss poor DVD-R media I used. I'll have to burn another DVD-R on better quality media to know more. But if the DVD-R in the Panny gets worked out, then this RP62 seems like the way to go over the Sony NS715P, in my opinion.

Bob S

Grip
MikeM,

Thanks for the update! I had initially been planning on picking up the 715 myself, but from what I've read from you and others, I'm now leaning towards picking up the new Panny RP82.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks