What's new

New SONY DVP NS715P Review (1 Viewer)

Corry

Auditioning
Reviewed: June 14th 2002
Price Paid: $400 Canadian
Score: 5 STARS
Purchase at: SONY STORE - Eaton Centre Toronto
(I have a few reserved in case any of you need one.
Just talk to Kevin Nguyen (Mgr) at the Sony Store and mention my name. He will also give you a discount).
Strengths
Excellent Video and Audio Quality.
Excellent Menu browsing.
MP3 Browser on TV's screen with full name of song (scroll) on the front display as well.
Very Fast loading / access time.
2 SVideo, 2 Video + 2 Audio, 1 Coax, 1 Optical
All languages available for menu (I didn't count all but I think there is one full page of languages with codes printed for the ones not preset) - Ask me if you're looking for a specific language.
Weakness
No Major weaknesses at the present time.
No backlit remote (if someone cares for that)
Only available in Silver with Black Remote.
I couldn't find the Zoom yet (although it may exist - not sure)
Comments/Review
Well,
After a long wait the NS715P is here.
I needed a good DVD player for my new 51HW40.
I had the JVC XV502SL for about 2 weeks. Video quality is excellent on the JVC but there were a few things that I didn't like.
I just purchased the NS715P yesterday at the Sony Store in Toronto - Eaton Centre.
Retails for 399.99.
After a few hours of testing I am very pleased with it. I haven't finished testing the player yet so this review may be incomplete. I am only reporting things that I have reviewed.
I will be posting some pictures over the weekend. It is very similar to NS700.
Here are some of the details:
1 - Component
2 - S Video
2 - RCA (Video + Audio)
1 - Coaxial
1 - Optical
1 Switch for Progressive / Interlaced / Selectable
Overall the player is nicely built. Remote control is good. The intensity of the front display lights can be changed. The player also has sound feedback that can be turned on or off. It can also resume play on up to 40 discs. It also has custom parental control and the option to lock the disc.
DVD Video
One new feature available is Digital Video Enhancer (DVD-V, DVD-RW, VCD)
Options are:
OFF
1: enhances the outline
2: enhances the outline more than 1
3: enhances the outline more than 2
SOFT: softens the image (DVD-V and DVD-RW only)
Picture settings
You can adjust the video signals of the DVD / Video CD from the player.
Here are the options:
STANDARD : displays a standard picture
DYNAMIC 1 : produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast & color intensity
DYNAMIC 2 : further than previous
CINEMA 1 : enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
CINEMA 2 : White colors - brighter, black colors - richer, and color contrast is increased
MEMORY : allows you to adjust the picture in more detail (picture, brightness, color, hue)
MP3 Audio.
I found the quality of the sound as excellent and can be played from CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW single session or multi sessions.
The player can play mp3 audio tracks recorded in the following sampling frequencies: 32KHz, 44.1 KHz, and 48 KHz.
By pressing menu on the remote the TV Screen will display all the folders as albums. You can select an album by moving up and down using the arrows.
By pressing enter the list of tracks is displayed and again you can select the track by moving up and down on the list. Press enter on any track to start playing. Front display will also list the full name of the song by scrolling if too long.
Another nice feature is the Program Play.
It allows you to play the contents of a disc in the order that you want by arranging the orders of the titles, chapters, or tracks. (up to 99)
It also has shuffle and random play.
I will be posting as I go along with the player.
I can only compare this to the JVC at the present time, and after only a few hours of test I can say that they are very close on video quality. I haven't tested all the video and picture options yet. JVC's picture was a little softer.
I may have to adjust with AVIA again.
Sony's menu is a lot better and the MP3 browser is very nice. Sony's remote is nicely designed and easy to use.
If you have any questions or you want me to perform some other tests please feel free to ask.
Hope this helps
Corry
STARS: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Corry

Auditioning
The picture quality I found to be Excellent on the KP51HW40.
My DVD collection is a little limited at the moment.
I only tested with Pearl Harbour, Armageddon, Jurassic Park III, Saving Private Ryan, Top Gun, The Matrix, etc.
How do I test for chroma bug? Does anyone know what dvd's to test with?

Corry

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I'm glad that you gave it such a positive review. I'm waiting for the Sony NS755V to come out, which seems to be similar except that it also does SACD.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
How do I test for chroma bug? Does anyone know what dvd's to test with?
The Toy Story DVD menu is an excellent place to look for chroma bug. By switching between progressive/interlaced output on the player you can see -- if the solid purple color becomes "streaky" in progressive mode, you have the chroma bug.
Check out this Link Removed for a full description.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Is this basically a single disc version of the DVP-NC655P
or are there signifigant differences?

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Very encouraging. If the 755 has proper bass management for the SACD (anyone have any clues yet?) it's gonna be a tough choice between the 655 and 755.

Keep us posted if you find anything new!

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Corry, have you made any progress testing the 715P for the chroma bug? I'm tempted to buy this player, despite the recent death of my Sony 530D.

Corry

Auditioning
I haven't tested the DVD for the chroma bug.
I don't have the Toy Story or Fifth Element DVD's to test with.
One of my friends that works for Columbia Tristar/Sony has order a whole bunch of dvd's for me (at a discounted price).
I am still waiting for these to show up.
Whenever I do, I will post the results.

It is available in Canada as of last week.
I purchased mine at the Sony Store but I also saw it at Eatons for the same price (399.99 + tax).
I paid 414.00 taxes included for mine. (10% off)

Corry

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Crutchfield now has the 715P in stock. I ordered one today, but unfortunately I won't be able to test the progressive video, because I don't have an HDTV monitor.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I just picked up one of these players from Best Buy over the weekend, on sale for $188.
So far I love this player. My favorite feature is the simple "instant replay" button that you hit once to automatically go back about 8 seconds or so, and start playing again. (This function is the workhorse of my TiVo.) :D
I have a 36" XBR400, (HDTV ready) and will be happy to test anything out if anyone needs any info. I just want to calibrate this new setup with AVIA first, and unfortunately, my friend is borrowing my AVIA disc. :frowning:
So far, this seems like a great player...

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Mike,

if you could check the presence of the chroma upsampling bug and post the results, it would be great!

--Dmitry

Bob S

Grip
I'm really tempted to get this player, but I'm a bit concerned about a couple comments on another forum saying that the prog scan output of this player is poor and you are just better off using the interlaced output.

There's also a thread on HTF saying just about the same thing about the similar Sony 665 model.

Mike and Corry, how does the prog output compare to the interlaced on your systems?

Thanks.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I bought this player & was so impressed with its progressive picture I kept it & sold my SD-5700

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks