New Sony Digital Receivers: Now Sold

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Schrall_Danny, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Schrall_Danny

Gentlemen, I can't even begin to tell you how much knowledge I have aquired about my newely found passion from this very sight. Now, I need even more pearls of wisdom, as I am about to scrap my entry level sony receiver for something a bit hardier. Pioneer Elite, 53txi and Denon avr-3802 are my two logical choices. That said, I just surfed over to crutchfield and found the new Sony's being preordered. Why or why not should I consider theis receiver? What is the deal behind digital amplification and can anything concrete be expected from these receivers given no one has heard them yet?

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The idea of the new digital amps have been discussed in an earlier thread on the new Sony ES receivers. For more information, you might want to check out that older thread as some good information has been discussed.

However, the verdict is still out on the digital amps. How will they sound? How will they perform? These are all questions that we don't have answers for at the moment. From my observation of the new ES receivers at Crutchfield, the 2000ES doesn't feature pre-outs. Plus, the "ES" receivers appear to have lost the button on the front panel for "night" mode - which was present on the 4ES. Maybe, there's a setting to get night mode turned on with this new line of receivers - I'm sure there are plenty of people who live in close quarters and this feature was quite useful so their families and neighbors were not interrupted. But, the new "ES" receivers now have front panel bass and treble controls -- I guess enough requests were made to get this feature back on the front panel.

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Danny do you mean the 53TX or 55TXi because there is no 53TXi?

Daniel Smith

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

No preouts until the 3000ES.
    WTF [​IMG] ? When will they realise it's their LOWER spec receivers that should have preouts [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ???

5. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I guess they're thinking that if you're gonna buy the 2000ES that's the most you can spend and that you can't afford an external amp so why include preouts no thinking that people might want to use it a cheap preamp insteading buy an expensive one.

Daniel Smith

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

They don't have pre-outs because they don't have D/A convertors. It's quite simple really.

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

8. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

Well, I don't know how much bugger all costs in Australia, but out here, a proper rogering will run you a pretty penny. Getting so's a fella can't even afford a good how's-your-uncle anymore.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?