New Sony and Pioneer "6.1" Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marvin E, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

I just received literature on the Sony STR-DB1070 with 6.1 Processing and the Sony STR DE9875 with Virtual Matrix 6.1.
    Also included was a description of the new Pioneer VSX-D810S with 6-D Theater. Virtual Matrix 6.1, 6-channel power, 6.1 processing, 6-D Theater...oh whatever! Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't see many low to medium-end
    DD/EX or DTS/ES Receivers these days. I wonder why? Maybe it's because the average consumer could care less about new surround formats...maybe it's too complicated...I don't know. If you have a DD receiver with preamp outputs, you could could connect the left and right surround preamp
    outputs to an old DPL receivers' CD input, for example, and then connect the rear center speakers to the left and right front speaker jacks on the DPL receiver and there you have it: homemade 6.1+1...whatever. I have an idea for a receiver: it will have virtual surround sound with eight pairs of surround speakers, 12 subwoofers, 811 DSP Modes, support DPL I, II, III, IV, Circle Surround, Square Surround, DD EX I, II, III and DTS ES, DTS ES Also, DTS ES in Virtual Mode, Cinema Mode and Confused Mode...I don't know. The whole thing will be water-cooled encased in granite...Tell you what I like to see: automatic center channel volume control. The receiver would automatically adjust the dialog between action and quiet scenes...whatever.

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Well, a true DTS-ES or Dolby EX discrete system requries not only an actual output for the back center channel, but also a decoding chip cable of doing that 6th discrete channel without having to resort to matrixing.
    The new Sony STR-DE1075 and Pioneer VSX-810S receivers, for example, actually HAVE that back center terminal, but still use a matrix 6.1 decoder that you can switch on for any 5.1- or 6.1-encoded source. Typically, you're looking at $700+ for a receiver that can do one or more of the discrete 6.1 formats. Some discrete 6.1-capable receivers even require that you use a separate monoblock for the back center channel.
    Now whether or not you actually need these features RIGHT NOW is a different debate. There are really not enough 6.1-supported movies out there to justify the purchase a certain model of receiver solely based on it having a discrete 6.1 decoder. But that's just my opinion.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Nicholas A. Gallegos on July 11, 2001 at 06:04 PM]

3. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

How big is the room?

4. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

I think if you are going to go for 6.1 you should really go for it and get something that can do DD-EX and DTS-EX. Otherwise save your cash and stick with 5.1. I think the current litmus test is DPL-II more than it is 6.1
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------

5. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Anyone know if the STR-DE1075 receiver can handle DD-EX encoded material for a 5.1 speaker setup? This DD-EX material just shows up on my receiver as std. 5.1.
    I have the Sony because I was interested in the multi-channel in, and also most of my other components happen to be Sony, and I'm used to the interface. Oh, and I got it real cheap. (sorry Onkyo, Denon, et al!)
    ~Steve

6. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Still not sure if my receiver (STR-DE1075) can handle DD-EX with a 5.1 setup (like many matrix-mode receivers) - it can do 'discrete', but short of the extra speaker, I'd like to know if it's 'backward compatible'. Sony customer support does not seem to know!
    thank you much -
    -s.y.

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The reason there are no "low end" 6.1 systems is that the technology hasn't trickled down yet. Give it time - every new format debuts on the high end gear, then makes its way down the line.