What's new

New Sony 40XBR700 (1 Viewer)

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this has been posted here already...or this is old news.
Recently saw the new 40" tube Wega. Talk about big; it's a monster, with a monster price ($3500)! First 40" tube out there, and it's really nice. Flat screen and all. Don't remember the exact model number, but the last of it is 40XBR700.
They decided to make it two tone, silver and black. Not the best idea. Although the black is nice; it's a black lacquer finish (piano black). The black is a 2 inch border around the tube, with the speakers on the side being silver.
They won't be available to take home until September.
Didn't play with it at all, just saw it.
Ed

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
There was no literature/specs on it, but talking to the guy he said it's right around 350lbs. It's a heavy weight indeed.
Ed

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ed,
Actually Mitsubishi made 40" direct view sets for a few years before they quit making direct-view sets.
They were not flat-screen, however.
Some models had an msrp of $4999.
I could be wrong, but I think they had a bit of a problem with picture tube implosions on 'em.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the correction Steve. What I meant to say was that it's the first 40" flat screen tube; at least that's what the guy told me.
Filip: Saw it at a GG's in San Jose.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info (that you saw one!). I talked with a Sony Internet sales person the other day and they told me that Sony decided not to release the 40"er. I'm glad they were wrong.
NOW, if we can just verify truth of the rumor for a 42" 16x9 wega 2.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ed,
Sorry to have been nitpicky about there having been a mits. 40".
I only saw the Mits. sets a few times, and the geometry on 'em wasn't that great. One store had 3 of them on display, the cheapest one was 2995, with a 40" Sony rptv right next to them. The Sony looked better, had better geometry, and only cost 1399.
Is Sony really gonna do a 42" direct view 16/9?
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I just don't know. It seems like it'd be pretty expensive. I've had 2 friends now tell me they read something about it, but they couldn't remember where. I haven't personally been able to find anything except that Sony is working on a 16x9 which may be named an XBR2. I know Sony already makes a 32" xbr 16x9, which is a Euro model, but that's about the same size 16x9 window on a 36" 4:3 ratio wega.
I for one sure would like verification!!!!!

I doubt anyone will be making a 42" direct view, it would simply be to heavy and expensive to make, especially when they can make an rptv the same size with less than half the weight and cost(imagine how much more shipping would cost alone). I won't even get into how hard it would be to calibrate the geometry on these sets.
By the way, Sony does have a 34" XBR2 on the way, I am pretty sure that it will be 16x9 as well.
Cheers

Joe_Jensen

Auditioning
Remember that not everyone has a room situation that will allow them to use an RPTV. Also, unless you watch all of your TV viewing an very dark room, the direct view has a much better contrast ratio. I love direct view sets, I'm seriously interested in the 40", and I'd love a 42"...joe

Carlos_R

Grip
Would anybody know how much RCA's/Proscan 38" 16x9 weighs.
how much more do you think a 40-42" would weigh.
I read somewhere that RCA's/Proscan's 38" would be a "true" flat screen (new model) in 2002? interesting.
carlos_r
ECP4500 (7"CRT FP)
80x45" (diy 16x9 painted screen)
HTPC (Radeon vivo/ATI 4.1dvd)
1280x720 @72Hz
_
Sony VVEGA 32FS12
Tosh. 3109DVD
Kenwood DD/DTS

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
If anyone from Florida is reading (or if you're traveling here) the Sound Advice in South Tampa has the 40" XBR on display. It's actually been there for almost a month now. Very cool looking. If only it were just a little cheaper.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks