NEW Sony 16x9 TVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William R. Moore, Aug 29, 2001.

1. William R. Moore

William R. Moore Auditioning

Has anyone seen any of Sony's new 16x9 TVs? Particularly the KP51HW40 and the KP57 HW40. These sets seem to have all the goodies generic to the new HS20/30 and seem to be the same as the more expensive XBR 16x9 sets but without the built-in HDTV tuner. Also how well do Sony's sets display a 4x3 picture on these widescreens and what are the options (ie: zoom , stretch, etc)? Any comments?

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

The HW40's are discontinued and will be replaced with the 51WS500 and 57WS500. They look very similar but the new sets have DVI and are..ahem...less expensive.

I am looking at getting the 53HS30 under $2K and waiting to see how the WS500 sets do with 4:3 NTSC and if HDTV is significantly improved. Also, the new WV600 series has a low glare screen, and user adjustable DRC that I haven't figured out if it is worth the extra $ to me.

3. William R. Moore

Dear Gil: I am selling my Sony KP53HS10 for $1450. It's in absolute MINT condition and has very low viewing hours. Interested? I don't think there's that much difference between this model and the HS30 except that the 30 has two HD component inputs instead of one. Let me know and thanks for your reply (a year later!)

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Sorry Bill, my bad. That's real weird!

So after 1 year you want a new RPTV? Why the switch and what are you planning on going with?

I need the 2 HD component inputs of the HS30. With the price I am getting for new with the factory warranty, 2 component ins and $39 shipping, used does not look very attractive. Also, I personally will only buy a big heavy electronics item locally where a return is easier.

You should have pretty good luck selling locally considering the very common $2199 retail of the HS30. Is the protective screen on your HS10 easily removable?

5. William R. Moore

Gil: I've had my HS10 almost 2 years and if I ever am able to sell it, I will investigate Sony's new KP-WS700 RPTV. It looks like it might be a "doozie." I have never tried to remove the HS10's "glare shield" since it never caused me any problems but I know it can be done. There is a Sony group on Yahoo which is more or less dedicated to owners of Sony RPTVs. You might check it out for some tips on removal of the shield but it sounds pretty complicated to me, not to mention possibly dangerous. I use a bias light behind the TV for any serious viewing so no lights are on in front. This HS10 really has a great picture with progressive DVD and I've never had any problems with it. Good luck with the Hs30.