New Sonotube sub project.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Cain, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone. After having read a lot of sites about DIY sonosubs, I am very much considering building one for myself, but my design idea isn't quite so basic as the water heater look and leaves me with several questions which I hope will be unique so I'll get right to the details of my idea. I have never built a sub myself, but I have a general grasp of the concepts, but I don't want to be "spoon-feed" if I can help it.

This is what I had in mind for components. The trusty Tempest that I have read many good things about along with a 250 watt plate amp probably from parts express w/ remote. Simple enough..

Now to where my design differs from all the others.. I don't really care about how big it is.. My opinion is: the bigger, the better. [​IMG] Since I am a n00b, I am lost at what produces the problem of "standing waves" Many of the other DIY sonosubs I have seen don't get much taller than 4 feet.. I am thinking for mine, more around 6' - 7' overall height, BUT, not just a straight tube like all I have seen so far. I just don't like the "water heater in a sock" look and would like to be a little more artistic and unique with my monster. So, here is what I was thinking for my enclosure, if it is sonicly feasible.

24" tube aprox 3.5' in length
    18" tube aprox 2.5' in length

24" on botton capped and routed to accept the 18" tube on top of it. Driver downfiring out of the 24" with the port (6"?) exiting out of the 18" tube on top.

You may ask why such a strange enclosure desigh and here it is..

I was thinking of how to make a stupid tube look cool.. what I came up with was to make it look like a 3-stage rocket like the old apollo rocket missions.. so, having the bottom 2 "stages" be the enclosure, for legs, it would have a rockets "stablizing fins" with a slightly larger MDF base for the "launch pad" along with whatever I can come up with for the crew capsule positioned above the port with of course an airflow gap..

So, is there such a thing as too much enclosure space?

2. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

Build a traditional box. Go to homedepot buy mdf, 90 degree angle clamp, regular clamps, glue and yer set.

If you want to make it even easier, go to "lumberyard" and have them precut MDF for $5-20 bucks. So you can just glue them together. Hell most will even cut speaker holes for ya for free, or you can use jig saw to hack open speaker hole. Who cares if it don't come out perfectly round, you won't see it anyway. Hell you don't even need T-nuts if you ain't gonna mess with it.

Besides, later on you can veneer it with absolutely gorgeous exotic finishes like aromatic cedar, cocobolo, or birds eye maple(mah favorite).

Up to you.

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I second the opinion that your idea wil not work, part of the thing with the tubes is the inert strength of the cylynder, breaking that into 2 parts would reak havoc i think. But if you do go with your idea i think pictures would be a MUST!! As for too much space , the only thing that happens as you increase the box size is you decrease the overall effeciency of the box and that just means you need more power. It will lower the F3 point as well, but I don't think that will play much of a factor for you, most people are just not willing to give enough space to a box because they don't wan't to give up the floor space. But i second the box idea, if you don't like the water heater look, i think the saturn 5 thing will wear thin quick.

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You'd be better off building the conventional sonosub, and then building a rocket facade over it. You could build a plate amp into the facade portion and not worry about structural integrity (of a built-in plate amp in the original sonotube). You get the best of best worlds, and nice sound sub without working too hard getting the plate amp built into the sonotube siding (maintaining an airtight seal).

6. Travis Cain

Thank you for your replies, guys.. To the folks suggesting a standard box sub- If I had planned to go that route, I would never have posted here. I am set on going with a cylinder sub even if that means the water heater look.

I was kinda wondering about the statement made by Tim and am glad to see I was not mistaken..

So, as far as difficulty of assembly, I am not concerned there. I am fortunate enough to have a father that is very much into woodworking, so I have access to any tool needed for the job and then some.

OK, so far, I see that I can reduce the diameter of the tubing to get closer to the 10-12 cubic feet.

Now, as far as connecting the two sections, if I go with 2 layers of 3/4" MDF, the lower layer would be cut to the i.d. of the lower section on the outer edge with a hole cut in the center to be the same as the i.d of the upper section. The second layer would be cut to the o.d. of the lower section on the outer edge with a hole cut to the o.d of the upper section. Basically leaving a ledge to glue and seal to.

The whole idea of the 2 sections, again, is not intended for performance, but merely appearance.

So, using that concept for the joining of the 2 stages of my rocket, do you really think that would not maintain it's structural integrity?

Next question- If I can overcome the challenge of building such an enclosure, would the shape have an affect on it's sonic reproduction, assuming I stay within the 10-12 cubic feet of space?

7. Travis Cain

Pat- I read through your entire process and looked at all the pics, and that has been a key driving factor of me wanting to DIY. I enjoyed reading thru it, so THANK YOU. [​IMG]

I had also thought about doing just what you mentioned, but IMHO, it just wouldn't look right without at least the first two sections to be as one..

[edit]
    As far as the amp goes, I was thinging of it being externally mounted to the outside anyway, so that is a non-issue..

8. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

If I were you, I would stick with one size of sonotube for the enclosure. Then buy a second piece of sonotube slightly bigger than the first sonotube and slide it over the first sonotube. So that way the actual sonotube you use for the enclosure will still be in one complete piece. You can get some MDF and make a ~6" donut or something for the two different size sonotubes you are using (18"/24"). Cut the ID the same size of the sonotube enclosure and then cut OD the same size of the larger sized sonotube ID and assemble. You could even use wood putty and make a 45 degree slope at the top portion of the outer sonotube, so it looks like an aerodynamic rocket ship!
    That would be a lot of putty if you used an 18" and 24" sonotube. Maybe you can fill it in with something else first or not bother with the slope at all.

I think Pat was thinking the same thing?
    I may be confused about exactly what you want but I hope we have helped somewhat.

9. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i think it is possible if you do it right. i would think makeing it look like a colom would be cooler. a tube with a box on the top and botom. a 2ft by 2 ft by 3 foot box would give you a 12cube box my box is 4 by 4 by 2 foot and is a routh 740l ir 25 cubic foot.