What's new

New solution for more memory on DVDs (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking, if there are current limits on video and audio quality of DVD's due to storage space on the disc, why not put the audio and video on two separate discs?

It would require a player that could simultaneously play two DVD's. I would image there should be a way to encode a sync sequence on the discs to coordinate the audio and video discs.

The only up front cost of this system would be the two disc players. But it would allow less compression of both the video and audio and still be produced on 5" discs.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
What would be the advantage of sticking with 5" discs if they could only be watched on a new kind of player? I think that squeezing more information on the current sized discs by coming up with a different kind of laser sounds like a much better idea. If size of the disc was the only remaining hurdle to hi definition dvd I'd rather have one larger disc than two smaller ones. Separate audio and video discs would confuse me, and if I have to think twice about something ht related your average person who couldn't figure out how to program the clock on their VCR would be completely lost.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Maybe they should simply change the size of DVDs to LDs. Just imagine how much data they could hold then. ;)

Mike Capulli

Stunt Coordinator
...why not put the audio and video on two separate discs?
That would still only leave the program with around 18 gigs to work with. I believe the total size needed for HDTV is around 30 gig? - correct me if im wrong.

Plus then when we have 3 and 4 disc sets standard because the first two are for the feature and the additional discs for extra content. It would get quite rediculous.

If you would have to buy a new player anyways why not upgrade to blue ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks