New Software Release For The Bfd!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Hey Pat (or other Admin), can you edit the title from Bfd to BFD
    it just looks wrong that way[​IMG]

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Very nice Anthony. Thank you, I'll have to play with it next time I adjust my BFD.

3. You do that=)

I like being able to use the BFD with low Q subwoofers (QTC=0.6 or less) as a psuedo Linkwitz transform =)

4. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Wow. Fantastic. Love what you've done here. (This coming from a strong vb/vba guy)
    couple things, just little:
    typo on responce in the graph heading
    the summed response plotting is not set to 'smooth' like the others
    It would be nice to see a greater freq range, maybe to 160
    also a greater gain to maybe 16 or 20
    I do not see the frequency numbers on the graph, these would be nice to see.
    also, if I leave the file, then return, the lilnes are not shown. if a toggle one of the filters, I get everything back. Was this done in 2000? maybe it is due to my '97
    again, really terrific
    here is my manual stuff http://home.earthlink.net/~juliano1437/ht/

5. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

woops double post

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Ant, the site says: Temporarily Unavailable!

What's this program all about?

7. Hey Jeff, try one of the Mirrors.
    Mirror 5 should easily be open.
    Jim, Thanks[​IMG]
    1)I will fix the typo and smoothing in the next release.
    2)Since it is in a log format, I have to stay with that meaning i would have to increase from 100 to 1000. ..maybe that will be a future release toggle (take a bit of work to impliment with all my logic cells)
    3) Gain limits are set to +16db and -48db since that is the limit of the bfd. if you want more, then stack a filter. use filter 1 and 2 with the same bandwidth, frequency, and fine...the gains will add [​IMG]
    4)I tried to get the graph to display every 10hz on the x-axis, but it would only display 10hz and 100hz markers. if you click on the graph and mouse over on a line, it will show your the coordinate when you land on one of your points. Do YOU know how to get it to display 20, 30 ,40 hz etc?
    5) the only disapearing line act I have seen is if you load an frd and then hit cancel (which will load zeros). Just don't hit cancel [​IMG]
    Hope this helps

8. Robert Payne

Robert Payne Auditioning

Anthony,
    First, thanks for the program. You obviously put a lot of work into it.
    Second, how do I use it? I have Excel 2002. I have done the following:
    1) On the Measured Response tab
    ...I selected "RS Calibration" from the drop down
    ...I input my SPL measurements under the "raw db" column
    2) On the BFD tab
    ...I selected "Measured Response" from the drop down
    ...At this point, I expected the BFD frequency settings to automatically be adjusted to smooth my curve out for my room. However, I'm obviously doing something wrong, or just don't understand the function of your program, because nothing happens. None of the BFD settings changed from where they were when I opened the file.
    Please help me use your magnificent program.
    thanks,
    -robert

9. As you type in your data, the graph automatically updates and will normallize based on the upper most 20 or so frequencies (normallizes the db ground plane). You will not see it update as you type it in since it is on a different screen. If you want to see what I mean, enter 1 for all of your raw data. Go back to the BFD tab and you will see a straight line (depending on what you used to calibrate)

The graph is not set to smooth the Sum Responce line (need to fix that with the next update).

You need to manually select which filters you want to use with each of the check boxes. Then you manually adjust each filter that you activated with the up/down arrows till you smooth out the responce.

The room isn't always linear with your adjustments, so it may take a couple of shots to get a flat inroom responce.

I hope this clears it up for you.

--Tony

10. Robert Payne

Robert Payne Auditioning

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I totally misunderstood what the program was supposed to do. I thought that after entering my measured response, the spreadsheet would calculate the proper filter settings for me so that I could get the smoothest post-processing output.

As I understand it now, the program graphicly represents what is being done by the BFD. I still have to adjust the filter settings by trial and error.

Thanks.

-robert

11. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

It took, what, three days to put this thing together? You're fast! [​IMG] If I only had a BFD (or some sort of which), I'd have the chance to use the program [​IMG]
    Great work, Anthony [​IMG]
    Isaac

12. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Anthony,

understood on the log scale and limits. I forgot about that.
    Understood on the range of the Gains for BFD controls. I was talking about on the graph showing a little higher. Maybe a custom setting in the next release. Until then, I guess I could just scale down my readings so everything fits.
    After I posted, I realized that the lines were @ 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 (duh). But, to answer your question, You could draw some text boxes to place on top of the graph.
    In terms of the graph lines dissapearing, it is more severe for me. I can be viewing the graph with all 3 lines showing fine. I can switch to another tab. I go back to the BFD tab, and all the lines are gone.

Any chance for an un-protected version? :)

13. Sorry Jim, no unprotected version [​IMG]
    I have no idea about the dissapearing lines.
    Try this for me IF you have the time.
    1) redownload it.
    2) write down EVERY step you do prior to the dissapearing line trick on the program (if you are inputing raw spl, you don't need to tell me what the spl you enter on each cell was [​IMG])
    3)send me the list and I will try and replicate it to get a fix.
    No one else has reported a bug except you, so I don't know what is up. The only dissapearing line tricks I can do is with hitting cancel, not filling in all the RAW spl data (since it scales everything down to zero plane using the last 15-25 or so data points ..i forget) and leaving blank cells, or writing over a cell that is protected and not locked (almost all cells have hidden formulas that you can actually write over and ruin the formulas).
    Try downloading again and see if it still happens (or re-exctract from the zip)

14. Isaac,
    Thanks[​IMG] It actually took more than three days, but there is only about 3 days worth of work[​IMG]. When I get motivated I am fast...obviously I am not always motivated [​IMG]
    Now you have to use your school funds to buy a BFD!! I have heard of people picking one up in special cases for less than $100US. Keep an eye out!

15. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Hey, great little program. I plunked some numbers into it yesterday worked like a charm. I have been working on my BP1503. I have it totally apart and should be up and running this weekend. Again. I'll give it one more chance cause I want to try it with your new program. I will eq it totally flat then if needed apply a house curve to it. Good work[​IMG]

16. Have fun shawn! just remember that the room does not usually repond linearly with nulls and modes. ..it may take a couple of measurement/adjustments. Hopefully though, it will give you a much better starting point!

17. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Thanks Tony,

Yeah Through measuring and remeasuring I find I need to add another 2db-3db on my adjustements. Question: Do you know how long it takes to fully excite a room mode. My sine waves are 10seconds long from 1hz-99hz but music rarely plays any bass notes for more than a second at a time. would that be enough time to fully excite the room mode? Just a thought.

18. I find room modes to be fully excited in a matter of 1 or 2 seconds. give it a solid 2 seconds to be safe=)