What's new

New Slim cathode-ray tube from Samsung (1 Viewer)

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Great news. And Kudos to Samsung for another breakthrough. Now videophiles have another option on these sizes. This could be the "renaissance" of the large CRT displays.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
If they're using a single electron beam, then I wonder what the corner focus is like.

Don't forget Toshiba and Canon's SED technology either. It's the form factor of a plasma screen, but works on the same basic principal as a CRT, using one electron emitter per pixel to light up the phosphor.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I look forward to SED. That and OLED. I think that SED is going to give DLP, LCOS and LCD a run for their money especially when it comes to costs. And it will behave like a CRT instead of having to bounce off a chip or pass through a panel.

Parker

SimiA

Second Unit
What I've been able to glean so far:

From Kimberly Allen, director of technology and strategic research at iSuppli/Stanford Resources:
"By the time OLED TVs of any large size reach the market in five years, LCDs and PDPs will be even more advanced," she said, as will digital light projectors and other projection systems.
"OLED will be a competitor, and maybe a strong one, but it is not going to take over the market in the TV space."

It's super cool stuff, it's just not going to effect our purchasing decisions between now and the Beijing Olympics.
Samsung, Canon-Toshiba, Motorola have made FED/SED/NED announcements. Not much of a selection so far.
At 10,000 hours of life, I'm not enthralled yet, and so far, it changes nothing.
It's phosphor-based, and might be susceptible to burn in.
More info will be coming from these manufactuers.
Then, we will be able make a more informed choice.
Vb

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, according to the article it says production will start early next year. We can only hope that translates to U.S. release soon after.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yee haw! :) I want a 16:9 37" thin CRT!

There are still some technical issues for FEDs/SEDs to be considered as "manufacturable":

a) Normal CRT has a much larger volume to surface area ratio. Due to the "flatness" of an FED, the surface area to volume ratio is much higher. That is a possible problem because of the vacuum integrity necessary. Large amounts of surface area are bad for vacuum.

b) They still have not solved the problems of the "walls" being visible. The walls are necessary to prevent the vacuum from collapsing the panel.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/804255/FED1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/804255/FED2.jpg

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Samsung just released the first of these new thin CRT's, both are 32" HDTV's. Samsung is calling this new line of CRT's 'SlimFit' and they sell for under $1,000:

TX-R3079WH
TX-R3080WH

Both are ~16" deep, so the space savings aren't huge, but they are a noticeable improvement.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
There WERE two 38-inch ones a couple years ago, but one was too shoddily-made (RCA) and the other was too expensive (Loewe). If they would make a good but affordable one in that size I'd be right on it.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
I think I might be getting one today... I've been waiting for this thing for months. Looked at it yesterday in Best Buy and absolutely loved it.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Looked like this set is missing the QAM tuner, that seems to be a trend on some of the HD tuner sets nowadays. If I want to put it in my bedroom, it would be nice to pick up the locals off of our cable feed rather than connect an OTA antenna or rent a HD cablebox for $10/month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks