What's new

New single-disc E.T. in October! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
According to TheDigitalBits, Spielburg's nice alien movie where the aliens don't dust people with extreme prejudice, is being revisited on DVD this Fall.

New transfer? Highly unlikely, the old one is good enough and Universal likes to reuse old tranfers whenever possible. Farthur tweaks and alterations to the film? Probably not if the same transfer is used. DTS? Universal likes to drop DTS tracks on rereleases, but since it's Spielburg they'll probably leave it on. New extras? Not room for much if it's a single disc release, especially with a DTS track. Option to watch the original theatrical version of the film? Not a chance in hell, we'll probably never see an official release of the old version again.

At least it will probably come in a keepcase instead of that godawful digipak that didn't even have a slipcover.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
My guess is that the disc will be exactly the same as disc 1 of the OOP 2-disc set.

Meaning that it'll only be the 2002 version of the film.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would still like to see a re issue of spielberg's close encounters with an option to see all the different versions.

brandon is probably right about this being only the '02 version.
glad i already have it.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree that it will most likely only be a reissue of the 2002 version of Spesilburg's E.T. from the OOP 2 disc set, I guess they figure that most of the people that complained about not having the original version already own the 2 disc set and they can now safely replace it with the PC version for future generations to not be offended by......of course there still is the issue of Elliott saying the "penis breath" line...they need to get on that since, along with the guns, that also might corrupt the minds of our youth just like it did with the previous generation of fans.....HOW IRRESPONSIBLE! ;)

(just a joke BTW, I am not actually a Spielberg hater, keep your flames at half heat)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Thank God I bought it first when it came out. Actually I haven't seen it in stores in months.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From Davis DVD:

Universal has just sent us some interesting news regarding the upcoming single-disc re-release of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. Even though this edition shaves off some of the better extras from the two-disc set, including the full-length documentary, it will add an isolated track featuring John Williams' famous score. This track is exclusive to this release. The rest of the disc features the 2002 cut of the film in 1.85 anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS ES Surround tracks, "The Reunion: E.T.'s Family and Friends" and "Behind-the-Scenes with Composer John Williams" featurettes, E.T.'s Interactive Space Tour, the trailer, production photos and concept drawings. Look for this E.T. on August 23rd with a retail $19.98.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad that this is coming out, since I missed the 3-disc edition. As for the changes, I think Speilberg did the right thing. It just seemed out of place... besides, why didn't they shoot E.T. when they started to go into the air? :)

Of course, theatrical cuts should be availible whenever necessary. I'm surprised that Universal didn't make this a DVD-18 that had both cuts. Especially since they're doing this with The Blues Brothers.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would fix the missing gasp of breath as E.T. is dying. It's on every release except for the dvd.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
I won't consider purchasing any future release of E.T. that does not include the original theatrical version.

Jeff

Rocky F

Second Unit
I agree, while an isolated music track would be nice, it's not worth a double dip for, especially if the original cut isn't there.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
The isolated score track is probably just what was on the 2002 release, it was an isolated score track of the live concert John Williams gave in sync to the film at the 20th Anniversary screening. I'd be amazed if they go to the trouble of dropping this and substituting an actual isolated score of the original 1982 recordings, especially since isolated scores have fallen so totally out of favor with studios due to the ease with which bootlegs can be made from them. They probably just haven't bothered to take it off the old disc. As everybody says, this sounds basically like Disc 1 of the old 2 disc and 3 disc sets.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
The Feds carry walkie-talkies instead of guns, and there's new crappy CGI effects of E.T. in certain shots/scenes. At least that's what I hear...I've never owned this in any video incarnation, because I never really liked it, not even as a lad of 14 when it came out in 1982. Oops, just gave away my age there...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This film is practically woven into the fabric of my being, but I will not be getting this, the E.T. Ultimate Gift Set is all i'll ever need of this wonderful film. Until HD DVD or Blu-Ray that is.

I'm also a little confused, the UGS also contains the original theatrical version, minus the audible gasp E.T. takes. Please don't tell me THAT'S the only reason some here didn't buy it!

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I just read a post by a Brit at jwfan.net, a John Williams fan site, the new ET disc we're getting in the fall has already come out over there. The "isolated score" is just the alternate audio of the live performance from the 20th anniversary screening, which was on the old disc too.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well fortunately I grabbed the 2-disc edition upon release. I, like many, was thrilled that the theatrical version was included. My only gripe (as stated above) is the crappy digipack. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks