New single-disc E.T. in October!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stephen Brooks, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    According to TheDigitalBits, Spielburg's nice alien movie where the aliens don't dust people with extreme prejudice, is being revisited on DVD this Fall.

New transfer? Highly unlikely, the old one is good enough and Universal likes to reuse old tranfers whenever possible. Farthur tweaks and alterations to the film? Probably not if the same transfer is used. DTS? Universal likes to drop DTS tracks on rereleases, but since it's Spielburg they'll probably leave it on. New extras? Not room for much if it's a single disc release, especially with a DTS track. Option to watch the original theatrical version of the film? Not a chance in hell, we'll probably never see an official release of the old version again.

At least it will probably come in a keepcase instead of that godawful digipak that didn't even have a slipcover.

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    My guess is that the disc will be exactly the same as disc 1 of the OOP 2-disc set.

Meaning that it'll only be the 2002 version of the film.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i would still like to see a re issue of spielberg's close encounters with an option to see all the different versions.

brandon is probably right about this being only the '02 version.
    glad i already have it.

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I agree that it will most likely only be a reissue of the 2002 version of Spesilburg's E.T. from the OOP 2 disc set, I guess they figure that most of the people that complained about not having the original version already own the 2 disc set and they can now safely replace it with the PC version for future generations to not be offended by......of course there still is the issue of Elliott saying the "penis breath" line...they need to get on that since, along with the guns, that also might corrupt the minds of our youth just like it did with the previous generation of fans.....HOW IRRESPONSIBLE! [​IMG]

(just a joke BTW, I am not actually a Spielberg hater, keep your flames at half heat)

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

New transfer or not, I will never get the bastardized version. Never!

6. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Thank God I bought it first when it came out. Actually I haven't seen it in stores in months.

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    From Davis DVD:

Universal has just sent us some interesting news regarding the upcoming single-disc re-release of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. Even though this edition shaves off some of the better extras from the two-disc set, including the full-length documentary, it will add an isolated track featuring John Williams' famous score. This track is exclusive to this release. The rest of the disc features the 2002 cut of the film in 1.85 anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS ES Surround tracks, "The Reunion: E.T.'s Family and Friends" and "Behind-the-Scenes with Composer John Williams" featurettes, E.T.'s Interactive Space Tour, the trailer, production photos and concept drawings. Look for this E.T. on August 23rd with a retail $19.98.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm glad that this is coming out, since I missed the 3-disc edition. As for the changes, I think Speilberg did the right thing. It just seemed out of place... besides, why didn't they shoot E.T. when they started to go into the air? [​IMG]

Of course, theatrical cuts should be availible whenever necessary. I'm surprised that Universal didn't make this a DVD-18 that had both cuts. Especially since they're doing this with The Blues Brothers.

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I wish they would fix the missing gasp of breath as E.T. is dying. It's on every release except for the dvd.

10. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

I won't consider purchasing any future release of E.T. that does not include the original theatrical version.

Jeff

11. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I have the 3 disc boxset of ET.. its very nice.

JACOB

12. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

I agree, while an isolated music track would be nice, it's not worth a double dip for, especially if the original cut isn't there.

13. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

The isolated score track is probably just what was on the 2002 release, it was an isolated score track of the live concert John Williams gave in sync to the film at the 20th Anniversary screening. I'd be amazed if they go to the trouble of dropping this and substituting an actual isolated score of the original 1982 recordings, especially since isolated scores have fallen so totally out of favor with studios due to the ease with which bootlegs can be made from them. They probably just haven't bothered to take it off the old disc. As everybody says, this sounds basically like Disc 1 of the old 2 disc and 3 disc sets.

14. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Not being a fan of this "heartwarming" movie[​IMG] , what are the changes from theatrical release?

15. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    The Feds carry walkie-talkies instead of guns, and there's new crappy CGI effects of E.T. in certain shots/scenes. At least that's what I hear...I've never owned this in any video incarnation, because I never really liked it, not even as a lad of 14 when it came out in 1982. Oops, just gave away my age there...

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    This film is practically woven into the fabric of my being, but I will not be getting this, the E.T. Ultimate Gift Set is all i'll ever need of this wonderful film. Until HD DVD or Blu-Ray that is.

I'm also a little confused, the UGS also contains the original theatrical version, minus the audible gasp E.T. takes. Please don't tell me THAT'S the only reason some here didn't buy it!

17. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I just read a post by a Brit at jwfan.net, a John Williams fan site, the new ET disc we're getting in the fall has already come out over there. The "isolated score" is just the alternate audio of the live performance from the 20th anniversary screening, which was on the old disc too.

18. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Well fortunately I grabbed the 2-disc edition upon release. I, like many, was thrilled that the theatrical version was included. My only gripe (as stated above) is the crappy digipack. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with what I have.