New Sims Expansion coming - Sims Superstar

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_CM, Feb 14, 2003.

1. John_CM

John_CM Auditioning

From EA Games:

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

WHEN WILL THE INSANITY EVER END!

Seriously, this is getting a little ridiculous, but I guess you can't blame EA-they seem to have hit the motherlode here. Can't say I understand the appeal of the Sims, but people seem to love em.

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I'd like to see an entirely new Sims really. EA is cash crazy it seems.

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I am terrible at The Sims, because I try too hard to play it "like real life", when in fact I should be memorizing the game's internal logic (which is less fun). Same with Sim City... it just goes against instinct and my people/cities flounder and cry and lose money.

I'll wait to purchase add-ons until they're ALL included in one set. Until then, it's just too pricey for the "complete" version (over $100, if you buy the add-ons separately, even granting that one is included with the current version).

s

5. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

This is series is a license to print money in large part because it appeals to the female gamer -- an entire, untapped market.

Before it became the "blockbuster franchise that we're all sick of," The Sims was considered a pretty innovative game for its time. I can't say a blame EA; each expansion is virtually guaranteed to sell nearly a million copies.

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

The only expansions I bought were Hot Date and ...umm, that one before House Party.

Hot Date was fun for about a week. The other one was bascially new skins.

Isn't Will Wright(that is the creator's name, right?) already working on The Sims 2? I heard about him talking about it before Hot Date was released.

7. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I wish someone would drop a nuke on The Sims. I'll admit that I did buy the first installment, but got bored with it in a week.

Has anyone here bought and installed all the expansions? If so, how much space has it taken up? Just curious.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I am also waiting for the "Super Deluxe" version of The Sims w/ all expansion (for $20 or less) until I buy into the mania.

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'm totally into the Sims Online. It's a lot of fun....other than I bought the first Sims and got bored very quickly. TSO, however is a different story I've been playing since beta...

10. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

U played the beta for TSO, I wasn't very impressed with it. Right now it seems like a glorified chat room and popularity contest. I might check back in after a while, but for now, it doesn't seem to be that viable.

I'd rather play Anarchy Online. [​IMG]

11. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I think the concept of The Sims is fun, but when I played it shortly after it came out I very quickly got sick of *always* having to tell my guy when to use the bathroom, eat meals, manage hygiene and such. And unless I was doing something wrong it seemed like the days went by too quickly, like it always seemed to take him 10 minutes just to take a piss. If they could fix those issues in a sequel I'd probably pick it up.

13. James T

James T Screenwriter

I was also a beta tester for the Sims Online. I thought it was a waste of $10 or whatever they charged for shipping. TSO is basically a chat room, a chat room that you pay money to use.

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My bro got The Sims with one of the expansions a while ago and really enjoyed it. He wants to get the PS2 version.

I never really played The Sims. A little here and there, watch over people's shoulders, but not actually play. I can see what there is to like about it (mainly the building a house parts), but I'm not into it and don't usually invest more than a week or two in my games before moving on (unless it's a rare example).

As for the expansions, I think I'd rather get a new $20 expansion for a game every 8 months or so (maybe a year instead) than have to buy a new $50 sequel every two years. This way, I save money and get more game to play. While the expansions aren't the size of a brand new game, they allow you to do more progressively and you don't need to learn a new interface or conrols or anything to use them. A few times I've played a game and then the sequel, only to have the sequel be changed in some ways that I didn't think needed to be altered (thinks like HUDs, GUIs, controls, etc.), although releasing expansion after expansions doesn't show any real evolution in the gameplay.

Whatever floats your boat. Hopefully, all of the expansions will be included in The Sims 2 (if it ever comes out) or at least the features they offer will be built-in.