What's new

New Simpsons Halloween Special! (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Wow, talk about a mixed bag. But still better than I expect from a show that's had over a decade's worth of seasons. Let me break down what I thought was good... Spoilers ensue :)
Part I:
Vintage, and I mean vintage, Homer Simpson antics. A bunch of great gags there too, I loved the cholera joke, and the one about the tarot cards. Likewise when Bart pulls just about every mythical woodland creature out of the hole, including Katy Couric... But even without the other stuff, it was worth it for the following Homer quote:
Homer: Yep, looks like everything worked out perfectly.
Marge: But Bart's dead!
Homer: Well Marge, saying I'm sorry won't bring him back.
Marge: The gypsy said it would!
Homer: Hmph, she's not the boss of me!
I thought I was going to die laughing right there. Pardon any quote mangling or spelling errors.
Part II:
The funniest part of this episode was the fact that they got Matthew Perry to do a guest shot for that one line. This one was the middle episode, both placement and quality wise. A good Homer "Mmm..." moment when he did the "Mmm... unexplained bacon" bit. The joke about the water purifier was a rip-off of the joke when Homer killed Mr. Burns as Dracula, but the follow-up line about Homer's brain was killer. Loved the ending to this one, very funny.
Part III:
Oof, what a waste. Harry Potter is as big a target as any for a satirical look by the Simpsons, but this was just painful. It was just a bunch of tired jokes wrapped up in a Harry Potter motif to try and make them fresh. No go for me on this one. In the old days I don't think the Simpsons would ever have been as lazy as to hope a premise could carry a Halloween story without some good jokes. I don't think I laughed more than once. Props to the ending with Smithers though, which was even more creepy/disturbing than I could ever have hoped :D
My two cents on that one!
------------------
Mark Evans
Low Rent Movie Critic, Low Rent Home Theater Owner, Low Rent Everything

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
That was an awesome episode last night! Just when you think The Simpsons have run out of steam, they prove you wrong again.
You gotta love the barfing half prince, half frog!
laugh.gif

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I thought the last sketch was hilarious, particularly Slithers eating the dead Burns.
Great stuff.
------------------
Todd.
"Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..."
- Sealab 2021

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Ralph Wiggum: Dying tickles!
800 posts. Yippie!
[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 07, 2001 at 08:01 AM]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I thought the Harry Potter takeoff was well done. You gotta love "Slithers" and "Montymort"!
Good to see the Kang & Kodos cameo too. I love those guys!!
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The highlight of the whole show has gotta be the puking half prince, half frog abomination. I couldn't stop laughing for some strange reason
laugh.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
In my neck of the woods, all the Pierce Brosnan stuff got a laugh, because it was watched by three guys who all work at PAX TV where we have daily reruns of "Remington Steele."
"He was Remington Steele, wan't he?"
= Derek =
PS. Count me in on the barfing frog bandwagon.
laugh.gif

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this episode late sunday night, it was great!
My favorite is when the "little person" was cussing at Homer and Homer thought he was singing to him!
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Did I miss something last year, or is this the first year that they didn't use goofy names on the Halloween show?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Right you are, Tom! I noticed that too. Funny, it seemed like tradition. Wonder why they canned it...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I loved it as well. I haven't laughed that hard in a long while at a TV show. I didn't see in the credits...was that really Pierce? My GF loves him, so I want to rub it in (if I can) :)
Thanks,
Chuck
------------------
He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...was that really Pierce?
Yup, it was.
"Slithers" had me and my friends on the floor...and then when he ate Burns while crying and sobbing...now that's entertainment!
laugh.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well I notice that there wasn't a offical couch gag either there, but then again, the tombstones got canned after a while too! Anyways, I loved that episode last night. "Wiz Kids" and "Hex and the City" were pretty funny with scenes of Milhouse screwing up over and over and the Slither scene. And Hex with the odd Trix rabbit scene. And on a side note, did the animation on the show look a bit nicer now? After seeing the very nice Snow White DVD, it looks pretty good compare to that transfer.
------------------
rirsesignture.gif

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Didn't see it...
and I've given up on the show (at least the new episodes).
I'm never even bothering to watch a new episode again. I'm sticking to the reruns, and I'm even being selective with those.
Sincerely,
John Kilduff
FLAMES AWAY!
------------------
"Who makes it happen?"
"I make it happen"-
Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
That show was funny as hell. I'm kinda mad I didn't get to tape it too, blame that on being a lazy SOB. That prince-frog thing nearly gave me a damn heart attack and the angry leprechaun making out and humping the fortune teller was hilarious. I also loved the Slithers eating Burns while sobbing and gobbling. Damn funny episode. Makes me all the angrier that I didn't tape it. Oh well, new Family Guy starts Thursday so I'll be ready for that one.
------------------
"I'd rather have 2 girls at 21 than 1 girl at 42." - W.C. Fields
"One man's simple is another man's huh." - David Stone
"I don't drink much. Just when I'm with other people, or by myself." - Some random geezer

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
That prince-frog had me rolling on the floor!!! Just thinking about it gives me the giggles. :)
-Mike
------------------
God Bless America--and all people who stand for freedom.
patriot.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks