What's new

New Silicon Image Chipset... (1 Viewer)

Scott_R_K

Grip
I hope that this isn't old news , but I haven't seen anything on this here yet . SI is replacing the SiI503 with the SiI504 immediately by the read of it...
http://www.siimage.com/press/08_21_01.asp
I'm hoping that this chipset and whatever the "new" MPEG decoder is that is in the new Denon DVM-4800 will see its way into a re-vamped DVD-2800 (maybe 2801 ?). Can someone read the exerpt below and tell me if the text is describing "scaling" from the new chip...
"...The SiI 504 includes a host of features designed to simplify integration. The SiI504 generates all of the clocks required for most applications from a video input clock featuring a single, new phase locked loop (PLL), as opposed to the three internal PLLs required by the SiI 503. While the SiI 503 requires the use of external discrete logic components, the SiI 504 can directly generate 16-bit 4:2:2
YCrCb digital video output without external hardware. During Squeeze Mode, the SiI 504 is able to generate sidebars with a variety of gray levels on the "squeezed" video output using internal logic. This is a simpler and more elegant solution for reducing the potential for burn-in problems. For optimal flexibility, these latter two features can either be disabled or enabled upon power up. "
There is also an ongoing legal battle between SI and Genesis Corp over rights to some new technology . I wonder if that had anything to do with Denon's decision on the gm6020 de-interlacer for the 4800 ?
Stay in touch ,
Scott.................................

ChrisA

Second Unit
I asked this question at www.avsforum.com
It seems as though in reality, there will not be any noticeable picture improvement between the 503 and
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/001636.html
While I've not tested it formerly I can tell you that the differences are not significant IMO. The chip is smaller and cooler and offers some improvements in processing that I cannot post - but overall it will be marginally better in deintleracing, if at all, than the Sil503/MC503. I will run some of the usual tests to see if it has improved in its video performance at all.
------------------
Link Removed

Scott_R_K

Grip
Thanks Chris . I must have missed your post at AVS . Sometimes not enough time for all the threads . Do you think this chipset will allow for scaling ?
Scott................

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
"...During Squeeze Mode, the SiI 504 is able to generate sidebars with a variety of gray levels on the "squeezed" video output using internal logic. This is a simpler and more elegant solution for reducing the potential for burn-in problems. For optimal flexibility, these latter two features can either be disabled or enabled upon power up. "
Scott, this description sounds like the 4:3 shrink/letterbox feature that already exists in the Si503 chip. The improvement is just a "variety of gray levels" for the side bars to help reduce burn-in problems. Note, the iScan Pro enables this feature, but I don't think any of a Si503 chip-based DVD players utilize it. I guess it may be possible that the feature may be more practical to implement in a player with the Si504 chip than the Si503.
Nonetheless, it isn't the same type of scaling feature the Genesis chip offers.
D :)
P.S. I believe the legal battle between Silicon Image and Genesis is about the DVI (Digital Visual Interface) specification for proposed use with future DTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks