What's new

new Silent Running DVD specs and cover art (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I saw all of five minutes of this film on television and was intrigued, searched for it for quite some time, and found the Image release. Upon watching it, I thought it was a great idea, a great story, but still a bit dry. The main character is very uncomfortable to me, enough so that I pity Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

I kind of wish I'd waited on this edition, but I didn't expect a new edition to ever be forthcoming. I don't know if I'll upgrade. I've only watched it the once. And it's not exactly the kind of film that friends see on the rack and say "I've always wanted to see that, lets watch that!"

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It has a very cold, isolated, Kubrickian feel throughout.

The sheer atmosphere reminds of The Shining somewhat, especially with all the tracking shots of the men on their motorised trikes.

I would like to think that the film influenced The Shining somewhat, especially given that it was directed by Douglas Trumbull, one of chief effects guys on 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I can't be sure.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I just went on IMDB. They have a different cover for SR. What gives?
That's the cover from the now-out-of-print Image release.
Upgrading would be much more painful if I didn't get a fortune my two old copies on ebay. I think I got over $50 for my sealed copy :)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Is anyone planning on making a new sleeve for the new version of the disc, preferably using the original theatrical artwork?
The Canadian sleeve is even worse, since it also prominently features the film's French title - Seul Dans L'Espace (Only in Space?!!)
Making or finding decent covers is becoming quite a hobby now that companies seem fixated on using uninspired, star-driven Photoshop designs, and now that several companies insist on using two languages on their sleeve (and don't offer an English-only alternative!)
www.dv-depot.com are now offering their customers replacement sleeves for dual-language sleeves, discs that come in snapper-cases, and covers that feature crappy new DVD artwork instead of the theatrical artwork (Ocean's Eleven, for example). I've just had replacement sleeves for The Others and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back from them, and am very grateful for this service!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks