New Silence of the Lambs release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil J, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

Today the store I work at received Hannibal and Silence of the Lambs dvd's. As I was checking them out I noticed that the SOTL disc was only in fullscreen and so far it looked like that was all we received. The Hannibal disc is widescreen though. Anyways if you are thinking about buying that disc make sure you get the widescreen one which I hope is going to be released also. Later.

2. Rick Solis

Rick Solis Auditioning

The release date according to Dvdfile.com is August 21st if anyone is interested....can't wait!!

3. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Whoa!
    Do you mean 'Later' as in "See you later."?
    or do you mean 'Later' as in "The WS DVD of SOTL will be release later."?
    Eeeek! DOn't do this to me.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

4. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Silence is being released both in fullscreen (spits on ground) and widescreen on 8/28. Sounds like your store didnt order the widescreen or they werent in that shipment.
    ------------------
    Dear MGM : Quality over quantity & Consistency!
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner
    [Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on August 11, 2001 at 10:23 AM]

5. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    I will wait for the Anamorphic Widescreen release. As a collector I would like a copy for the added features & the Anamorphic Transfer and extra features. As for Full Screen/P&S IMHO they can all go in the Garbage. I also have the non-anamorphic Criterion which is btw out of print now but also has a few interesting (albeit twisted) extras
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Ed Vandeweerd
    [email protected]
    my collection

6. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

Heh, I just said later meaning "see ya later". Today i'm going to root through our shipment to see if the widescreen's are in there. I hope the WS copies aren't being released a week after the P/S discs, that would not be good. I'm out.

7. Bill_K

Bill_K Auditioning

Silence of the Lambs widescreen version will be released the same day as the fullscreen. I went to a store today that had Hannibal and the new Silence of the Lambs on the shelf. I bought both of them and when I started driving home I realized that I forgot to check to see if it was the widescreen version of SOTL. Luckily it was.

8. Timmy T

Timmy T Auditioning

There are indeed a Fullscreen and Widescreen version of SOTL DVD. I saw them both.
    Their covers are almost identical save for the description of full / wide screen. Beware !

9. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Do you mean "I'm out" as in, "I'm outta here, see you later"?
    Or do you mean "I'm out" as in, "I'm out of widescreen 'SOTL' DVDs"?
    [​IMG]

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

You only received Full Screen SOTLs? Work at Wally-Mart by any chance? mine only stocks the Full Screen version if there is one (well...at least with JP & Remember the Titans).
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

11. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

I hope the full screen of DOOM doesn't end up in my shopping cart when I buy it. Anyways, I'm wondering how much is Hannibal and Silence of the Lambs. I seem SotL once, but never seem Hannibal, but I know they are worth buying from others.
    ------------------
    "Muk it up"

12. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

My local Ballbuster got about 15 copies of Silence Of The Lambs for rental. Every last one of them fullscreen. Sad but not surprising.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "We'd better not risk a frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur 93.2 AD

13. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

My copy of SOTL arrived this morning. The disk was a 'floater' so I had to open it up - never checked to see if it was widescreen though - now I am worried [​IMG]
    Don

14. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Will, not to get the thread too far off topic, but that just scares the crap out of me and pisses me off at the same time. It seems we are getting another resurgence of dual releases in both P&S and widescreen. If our local rental house only stocks the P&S version, we get screwed. Ugh.
    C. Ryan

15. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Kenneth,
    Hannibal is crap, I hated it; but a few liked it so give it a rental first.
    I own the CC of Silence but Im still buying the new one for the extras and the 5.1 track. Im curious to see the extras for Hannibal even though I hated it. Ill rent it just to give it another shot.

16. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Just to confirm... the widescreen and fullscreen versions are both released on August 21.
    ~Jamie

17. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

Well so far all the SOTL copies we recieved are P&S, hopefully the widescreen copies are on the way. By the way I work at a Music/Video store and we always get both versions of dual format movies like Jurassic Park for example.

18. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

OK, does anyone know who was involved in the production of this disc? Jonathan Demme? Tak Fujimoto (the DOP)? The reason I ask is because we now have a new transfer (yes, anamorphic) and a new soundtrack (5.1 vs Criterion's 2.0) and I'd like to know if either, or both, of these were just whipped up by the geniuses over at MGM or were the original artists involved?
    I know the Criterion video transfer has taken its fair share of lickings on the 'net but it was approved, as was the 2.0 soundtrack. I really like my Criterion disc and I think that only its only problem is a lack of an anamorphic transfer.

19. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure you will all be pleased to learn that my copy of SOTL was indeed the widescreen version.
    I would like to defend MGM a little here. I would much rather that they released P&S and widescreen versions of the same DVD (even though that may mean that you have trouble finding the Widescreen version in B&M stores) rather than going down the Warner Willy Wonka route.
    Don

20. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins