New Sharp DV S25U

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david-e, Dec 3, 2002.

1. david-e

david-e Auditioning

Has anyone tried this player? It is has the Fauondja chip like the Panasonics have and you can get it in black. Thanks, David

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

S&V Mag. had a report on the Sharp DV-S2U with the Faroudja chip.

HIGH POINTS:
    Good Audio & Video Performance
    Nice Remote
    Simple Operation
    Low Price

LOW POINTS:
    No Optical Digital Audio Output
    No Virtual Surround sound
    Plain Styling.

"The Sharp DV-S2U's video performance in the lab was fine except for the usual poor in-player letterboxing, which is not significant if you have a widescreen set. The component outputs gave unusually accurate results."

David Ranada and K.C.P.

3. david-e

david-e Auditioning

At less than $100 this could tie with the Pana 82 as an great deal. Thanks, emoney

4. Han

Han Second Unit

Is it me or is anyone else getting sick of the gauging of in-player letterboxing in S&V? We get it! Their opinion has always been, Sonys good, everyone else bad in this respect.

Those Low Points don't seem to amount to much, except maybe the optical output which can limit some people's choices. It always seems like they have this "Low Points" field, and feel they're required to put something/anything in it. If ya show us decent pictures, we'll decide for ourselves if the styling is adequate, plain, or good. Sheesh!

I would have liked to hear about whether the player glitched for any DVDs the reviewers tried. Run it through a battery of discs. Not just an obscure DVD that differs from the disc that writer used for the last player he reviewed.

5. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

I had the S2U delivered yesterday and so far it's performing very well. At this point I'e only used interlaced output via s-video to a 36" tv. Video looked clean with good color balance, and really smooth. Compared to out Philips 711, the picture was sharper and scan lines were less visible. Some jaggies as expected for in-player letter boxing, but overall not bad. Subtle details are visible and the overall picture quality is very pleasing. On one disk, Wallace and Gromit "The Wrong Trousers," all the little finger prints in the clay and textures in the surrounding were visible, making the picture very 3-dimensional. With the other disks (Toy Story 2, Fifth Element, North by Northwest, etc) the picture was just as rich. I stopped worrying about picture quality very early in the process. My hope is to hook this up to a front projector within the month. If no one has commented on the progressive scan playback by that point I may update the review.

In other areas, the player does not play VCDs, but does play burned CDs (though in the manual it say it does not). CD audio with the players DACS is not bad. Not overly bright (which I expected) and lacking a bit in depth. For non-critical listening it's no problem. Remote is big but functional. Menus are well laid out. One pet peeve, the black level control is on the remote not in the menus and it resets to the "on" position whenever you insert a new disk. With it on, however, there's no real degradation to the picture--it's supposed to bring out shadow detail.

Obviously this player is meant to compete with other low cost players with the Sage DCDi chip. I can't make that head-to-head comparison here. It doesn't player either of the new hi-rez music formats and is largely a basic video player. The price, however, is competitive and the video looks very good. I'd be curious what others think of this unit. So far I like it a lot.
    -Anthony

6. Joseph Dubin

Joseph Dubin Auditioning

I needed a replacement for my Panasonic RV-31S which broke a little more than a year after I got it (like many others, I get code H02). I saw the Sharp DV-S1U (the silver counterpart to the DV-S2U) at Wholesale Liquidators for $69.99. Because it was for my smaller HT system I took a chance, knowing I had 20 days to return it.

What a pleasant surprise. After adjusting it using a THX video and audio optimizer I found the video stronger and smoother than the more expensive one-year old Panasonic (and I agree with Anthony it is best to leave the black level pre-set off). It has seemless layer switching which is amazing for a budget player.

This is the first time I purchased a bottom of the line player and I'm totally amazed at how well it plays. At a $69.99 liquidation sale, it was a steal!