What's new

New Sharp DT-200 Questions (1 Viewer)

ron feinberg

Auditioning
Hi, I just purchased a new Sharp DT-200 Front Projector. On a previous post I explained that I am stepping up from an older Sharp XV-H37U projector I have been using for the past 5 years.

On first demo, the DT-200 is AWESOME in comparison to the H37U! It is MUCH brighter, and much more detailed. The colors are amazing. I am very pleased.

My only problem is with an issue that I am seeing on this new projector that I was not on the old one.

On certain video sources, including DVD and some digital cable channels I can see a "ghost rolling line" that slowly moves up the screen in a repeating pattern. It is very faint, and moves pretty slow. But it is definately apprant, and a big distraction. I switched back to the old projector, and I cant see these lines at all. I don't know how to better explain it except to day that it is a rolling horizontal line that moves from bottom to top, that is very faint...sort of a ghost image. It does not do it on every video source that I have watched...or perhaps on certain channels or sources, it is less obvious to see.

Could this be the projector? Some kind of sync/phase setting (but i'm just using a composite video connection right now) or some other setting? Or is it that this new projector is just so bright and sharp that it is bringing out something that was always on my system, but i just couldnt see.

If it is my video sources, then what would you do about this? I have good equipment, all hooked up with monster cables. My Home Theater Receiver is top notch...I am real surprised to see this happen on DVD's. If it was just cable TV, I would think it was the tv signal. But the DVD's show it worst of all (perhpas due to their high resolution and clarity?).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ron

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I'd suggest experimenting with a different connection. Pick up some component video cabling, or at least some s-video. If you have a computer, try DVI, the quality will amaze you.

ron feinberg

Auditioning
I would like to do this, and I will for my DVD player. But for cable TV, I am stuck with composite (no S video jack). Also, it's hard to find component and s video cables long enough for a front projection set up. my cable run needs to be about 30 feet. Hard to find.

I was shocked to find that 90% of the ghost noise that I was seeing was due to the cheapo composite video cable the unit came with. I was using it as a temporary install, but once I changed to my trusty old Monster cable, 90% of it vanished. So obviously this has something to do with the cables, or some kind of interference.

But not all of it is gone however, and I still am wondering what to do about it. I think the new image is so much brighter and more detailed that I am probably seeing what was always there...I just could not detect it before. But now it is quite annoying...even just the faintest amount.

So what is it, and what can I do about it. As I said earlier, its not Cable TV ghosting....because it happens on DVD source material too.

Thanks,

Ron

ron feinberg

Auditioning
SOLVING MY OWN PROBLEM>>>>>>>

Well....after thinking about it for a while, I started to wonder what could be so different between my old XV-H37U and the new DT-200. I mean, I know the picture is better on the DT-200...but how could this bring out SUCH a HUGE picture anomoly?!? So what is different....

Simple! The XV-H37U had a standard 2 prong power cable fixed attached to it's rear. The DT-200 has a computer style detachable 3 prong power cord. GROUND LOOP!

Since my projector is mounted 15 feet back from my system (which sits below my screen), I had the projector plugged into a separate outlet. So was the H37U, but it was 2 prong only. So the 3 Prong plug of the DT-200 caused the loop, and BOOM, massive interference on the video cable. The better Monster cable, with its shielding, did a good job of minimizing this horrible loop interference. In fact, if I ever needed anything to sell me on the power of quality Monster cables, this was it. But as soon as i connected a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter to the power cord....GONE. Even the cheapo unshielded composite cable the unit came with looks beautiful now. With the Monster cable, it looks stunning.

Problem solved!

Thanks,

Ron

ChadLB

Screenwriter
That solves alot of problems with electronics.....I had the same problem with my 5 channel amp.....used the 2 prong cheater plug ...problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks