What's new

New Seven Samurai and more Kurosawa from Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Any updated word if they are being redone? The new prints recently played in town, and were sexy as hell!

I have not yet bought these (although, I ahve had that Samuri Trilogy boxset in my hand a few times!), and would gladly hold off until the remasters are out!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Guys, I wouldn't go by any dates listed by retailers, or even at Image. I'd be seriously, extremely surprised if Silence of the Lambs or Spinal Tap was out when I got Seven Samurai. I remember seeing Amarcord, 400 Blows, and The Lady Vanishes... Silence and Tap simply were not there. Why would Best Buy carry these four (including Seven Samurai) and not carry Silence and Tap? Sure, they could have been out of stock at the time, but I used to hit BB weekly as a ritual, and they just didn't turn up until later.
Edited to revise:

Major brainfart by me last night. According to Image's database, 400 Blows streeted on 3/31/1998, Amarcord on 3/31/1998, and The Lady Vanishes on 5/27/1998. You're right that these discs were all available before Tap and Silence of the Lambs.

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I personally bought Silence of the Lambs near the beginning of June 98 at an Import CD/LD/DVD store & Spinal Tap in mid summer at Best Buy (I also keep receipts;)), so it is possible that Samurai was out earlier then listed.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, The Digital Bits has just confirmed that a new Criterion of The Seven Samurai, among others will be released with a new subtitle translation!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, they're actually just reposting the information already known in the first page of this thread, but still, good news!

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Unfortunately the new subtitle translation is nowhere near as good as the older translation included on the current Seven Samurai DVD.

If they can't make a fantastic difference in the picture quality on this release, I don't see any really good reason to redo Seven Samurai. The DVD is still in print, and it's a fantastic DVD of the best film ever made.

Yes, the image quality could be better, but the film was filmed in 1.37:1, so it isn't like we're going to get an anamorphic reissue or anything.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I think they could do a great deal of improvement on the old dvd! PQ wise
look at the new Throne of Blood dvd it looks fantastic!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Yes, the image quality could be better, but the film was filmed in 1.37:1, so it isn't like we're going to get an anamorphic reissue or anything.
Beauty and the Beast was shot flat as well, but Criterion's restored re-release is like night and day - see here (it actually looks better when you've compared the two actual discs - the original had a ton of white speckles and scratches in almost every shot).

However, the news that the original Seven Samurai DVD has a far better subtitle translation has me considering getting this one now instead of holding off (I'm very glad indeed I kept my Criterion copy of The Killer for this very reason - the Hong Kong Legends subtitles are intolerably dreadful).

Jason - or indeed anyone - how does the new subtitle translation of Seven Samurai differ?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'm sure the new SS will have two english sub tracks like the recent Throne of Blood does.

Jon, whats the problem with the HKL Killer subs?

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
I too would like to know what is different about the new translation. I haven't heard about this new translation being worse than the current version. Why would they do a new translation if this is true?

This would be nice to know so i can jump on the current boxed set before it goes OOP and off the shelves.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I too was considering the Kurosawa "Samurai box" until you guys started talking about a new SS in the works! Hmmm, what to do?

In addition, I've heard the prints of the other 3 (Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Sanjuro) leave something to be desired. Good, but not outstanding. Toho strikes again...!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The Hidden Fortress looks spectacular - a beautifully restored anamorphic high-definition transfer. The other two (Yojimbo/Sanjuro) are slightly ropey, from everything I've heard.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the box awhile ago. Hidden Fortress is pretty nicely done. Sanjuro and Yojimbo are pretty rough, but in no way "unwatchable". However, I think there is issues with the framing of one of them (I think the problem is with some of the titles being cut off).

The thing with Kurosawa is that his movies are so brilliant they easily shine through even the worst VHS transfer I've been forced to sit through during the "Dark Ages" (or, "Before DVD") ;)

I doubt Sanjuro and Yojimbo will be seeing a rerelease anytime soon so I wouldn't hold out on picking them up. I think the box is a pretty good deal even if SS is getting a new release. Four Kurosawa/Mifune films in one box? And Indiana Jones wasted his time looking for the arc of the covenant.

ShaunS

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The Hidden Fortress looks great, and it is probably the best looking transfer of a Kurosawa movie from Criterion...

I thought the greatest problem with Yojimbo (and probably "companion piece" Sanjuro too) was the fact that the English subtitles weren't placed correctly: not in the film frame, but all the way down in the black bars. I had to watch this "windowboxed", in 4:3 mode on my 16:9 TV.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
This subtitle translation difference between the original and reissue of Severn Samurai, what is it? How is it worse? Is it because the original translation is a literal translation and the reissue will be a more colloquial translation? Anyone? Anyone?

~j

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Joeseph, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

The old translation was more of a literal translation, and is one that I think is more correct. The newer translation, much the same as Linda Hoaglund's other translations, are more colloquial, and I don't think that they are as acurate.

For people who don't watch a lot of Japanese cinema, or for people disinterested in how correct a translation is, this stuff really doesn't matter to them, and may even be better for many people. For those people interested in a correct translation of what they are watching, then I think subtitle accuracy is of paramount concern.

I think that if Criterion is going to do another release of Seven Samurai, it would be great if they included multiple subtitle tracks, like they did with their new Throne of Blood release (which I have not been able to watch yet). Give people the option, and let them choose.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Unfortunately the new subtitle translation is nowhere near as good as the older translation included on the current Seven Samurai DVD.
What are you referring to?
Which "Newer" translation & which "older" translation on which DVD are you referring to? I think some are confused in thinking that you are saying that the original Criterion Seven Samurai DVD had a different translation than the re-release of 99 that only removed the restoration demo. I don't believe the translation sub's are any different than those on the first release of a few months prior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks