New Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Pay, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

Here's my plan for my HT setup, my family room is 13x20 and need the smaller speakers to apease my wife's decorating so I was wondering what smaller speakers will work well with this setup, please no Bose!

Panny 47Wx49

Onkyo TX-SR600

Polk RM 6200

Polk SW250

Looking for a 5 disc progressive scan dvd changer that you can program the cd's, any out there yet?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 6200 is not really that great. Take a look around for the JBL NSP-1 package. (J and R) Relatively small speakers and a very good price. You will have to find a sub also, but there should be no problem finding something better than the SW250 for about the same or less.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I have to disagree with Mr. Garcia regarding the Polk RM6200. Yes I am partial to Polk Audio equipment, although I do not own this setup. I have listen to the RM6200system on more than one occasion and was amazed at the sound quality. The best advice that anyone can give is to go out to your favorite retailer and listen to as many speakers, receivers, subs, CD/DVD players, etc., etc. as time will allow. Your ears will tell you what they like, your wallet will tell you if it is a wise purchase, and your wife will get the final vote.[​IMG]

4. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

5. John Garcia

John
    Well, it really depends on what one considers "good". I have yet to find anything with less than a 5-1/4" midrange that I feel comfortable saying sounds good, PERIOD. Tiny speakers simply cannot do a sufficent job at reproducting music adequately, at least for my tastes. The small drivers do not have the ability to cover enough midrange convincingly, and basically force the sub to have to work in the lower midrange, which it shouldn't do ideally.

One can do better for the typical going price of the RM6200, with the JBL setup (and I am not really partial to either JBL or Polk) with an inexpensive sub is a fair example. Just my advice and opinion.

I don't let my fiance dictate what I can and can't buy...

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

If WAF is a factor, but you want bigger drivers... have you looked at in-wall speakers? Unobtrusive and you can fit a 6.5" driver in most of them.

P.S. Let me know what you think about the Panny when you get it. I'm looking at the same for my basement.

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Rick

I missed your last question regarding Progressive Scan Changers. Yes they are out there and the same advice as before applies as well. Once you have narrowed down your choices you might want to check out Epinions.com for reviews by people that have already purchased the player(s) that you are considering. I'm looking for one myself and will probably end up with the Pioneer Elite version. I was hoping to find a 5 disc Prog. scan/DVD-A/SACD/CD-R/MP-3 but no luck as of yet.

Dave,

:b I am honored!:b

John,

I guess there are as many opinions about equipment as there are fish in the sea...maybe Rick will go big.

8. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

Well for small speakers I have the RM6000 and my room is 13X15. Note that Circuit City sells these for $599 and I got mine at crutchfield for $399 so shop around!

Based on what you are looking for in the room, and the need to keep the speakers small, I think those Polk Rm6200 are great. I would also consider what John Garcia said concerning the loss of midrange, I have seen many reviews that site that as a weakness of small satellite speakers. Not to mention he obviously knows what he is talking about!

I guess it all depends on what you are willing to compromise to get the speaker size down. I wish I had the RM6200s.

I got my receiver from Hifi.com and was happy with both companies prices and service. Especially Crutchfield, they send you lots of free information concerning HT.

9. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all of your input, glad I found this forum. This is my first foray into setting up a HT. I may be changing my mind on the Polk RM6200. Noticed free shipping right now for JBL at J and R's. Looking at the following setup..

JBL S26 fronts

JBL N24II rears

JBL SCenter channel

JBL PB10 sub

Thinking of mounting the rears in the opposite corners of the back wall near the ceiling of my 13x20 family room. My couch is against this back wall facing the tv about 9 feet away. Would it be better to place the rears at ear level?

10. John Garcia

John
    Sounds like a good setup. I have a friend who has a very similar setup, just with N26s all around and different sub, but it sounds quite impressive. I'm going by Fri to hear his new sub (SVS).
    I have almost the same size room - basically 13x22, and I have my rears at ear level, on identical stands as my mains. Though my couch is about 4ft from the rear wall, maybe 7-8 ft from the TV, due to a sliding glass door in the rear.
    With your couch against the wall, you will have to experiment with what works relative to the listeners. In cases like this, I would strongly recommend proper calibration with an SPL meter, so that the rears do not become too distracting.
    Thanks Adam [​IMG]. HiFi.com is definitely a good place to look for receivers. I just happen to know a manager at Cambridge locally, and I always get good deals from them.[​IMG] So good that I bought 3 receivers and a TV from them last year...