new setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by dominic j c, Mar 30, 2006.

1. dominic j c

dominic j c Auditioning

Hi i am new to home theatre systems but would like to have a fairly decent setup to go with my new tv all i do realy is play games and watch dvds, if anyone can give me any setup suggestions it would be much appreciated.
    thanks

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

It all depends on your budget. What do you want to spend? Anything below $500 and you are likely looking at a home theater in a box or you can piece together a sub/satellite system. There are more options in the $1500 range and again at $2500 where you can get into larger subs and bookshelf and floorstanding speakers. Until you get to $1000 or so, it's tough to start considering things like room size. All depends on your budget. Once you figure your budget, you then need to repost in the appropriate forum for specific produt recommendations as this section is for basic questions only.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Dominic: Are you seeking general discussions vis. what to budget for which components? Or are you wanting brand-specific purchasing suggestions. Please advise, because if the answer is No. 2 then I will have to relocate this thread. Thanks.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

5. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Both tend to go hand in hand. A good HT system works well for gaming in most instances.
    I think I once said in a previous thread to someone that a projected screen for games is a bad idea. I want to recant this statement and hope that I didn't lead whoever you were too wrong. I have a projector and 90" screen and I wouldn't do anything different for gaming.
    Point is, what works well for HT works well for gaming.