New setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred Grambs, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Fred Grambs

Fred Grambs Auditioning

I'm planning on purchasing a rear projection HDTV for my Living Room. I've been looking at the Toshiba 57H82 at Best Buy (primarily because they have the 24 month no interest deal). I'm also planning on purchasing the Onkyo HTS-650.

First question, What do people think of the 57H82 and the HTS-650? I'm planning on using the Onkyo system for now, until I have more spare cash for a better sound system, when I will relegate the Onkyo to a yet-to-be-designed rec room in the basement.

Second question needs a quick description. My Living Room is 24 feet by 15 feet, but due to the layout, I will have to put the TV facing the short way. The room has an 8 foot archway opposite a large bay window on the short walls and one of the long walls has a 12 foot archway. I'm planning on putting the TV on the 7 foot wall next to the archway due to lighting, and demands from the other half.
    I'm worried that having a large open area (15x12 plus a dining room through the archway, next to the TV) to the left of the viewing area (15x12) may cause problems with the sound. Do I have any reason to worry? If so, what can I do to minimize the effect?

My next biggest problem is getting the TV home. I live about 40 miles south of Rochester, NY and seem to be outside of the delivery area of the big stores. I do have a pickup truck, but I'd be worried of tilting the set when loading and unloading. I can get my fiancee's 2 brothers to help (of course, I'd probably have to give them some time to play their PS2 on it). Does anybody have any recommendations on moving a large set?

TIA,
    Fred

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Fred. I'm going to move your thread over to the "Display Devices" fourm where more people who have strong feelings about Toshiba and HDTV hang out.

If you search there, you will find lots of other people struggling with similar issues. Just search for "57H82" to find other posts about that TV.

Good Luck and enjoy your stay.

3. Fred Grambs

Fred Grambs Auditioning

Thank you Bob.
    I was split on which forum to post becuase I had a few different questions. I've already gathered a lot of interesting, and useful, information by scanning the recent posts.

Fred

4. Fred Grambs

Fred Grambs Auditioning

Well, I was just informed by my fiancee that a store in Rochester has the 57hdx82 in stock and wanted $2699 for it. They are willing to come down to $2499 for it, which is only $100 more then Best Buy for the 57H82...but it gets better, the salesman stated that there is a $100 rebate starting tomorrow!
    And, they are willing to deliver to my house 40 miles away!
    So, that's a couple of questions answered. Now, what is the benefit of getting the hdx versus the h?

Fred

5. jonny h

jonny h Agent

Fred,
    Differences on HDX vs. H
    1. Better guns (longer lasting and brighter)
    2. Anti-glare screen
    3. DVI input

what kind of rebate is this? Is it a factory rebate or a store rebate?

Thanks for the help,

-jon

6. Fred Grambs

Fred Grambs Auditioning

Thank you for the clarification.
    I'm planning on making the purchase Saturday, so I will know more about the rebate after that. I will make sure to post it here.

Fred

7. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Hi Fred,

I'd say between the two, go for the HDX. That DVI input could prove very useful in the future, and I would it alone would be worth the $100 just for having more flexibility.

I wouldn't worry too much about the large open area to your left. In my setup (a loft), I have a HUGE volume to the left, and I have not found any issues. Provided that you calibrate your system you shouldn't have a problem. Of course, it will take a beefier sub to fill the space.

8. Fred Grambs

Fred Grambs Auditioning

Thank you for your input, Max. The Onkyo setup I'm looking at comes with a powered sub and sounded nice, for the price. I figure I can experiment with placement for maximum effect for now. I have the Sound and Vision calibration CD and will work with that once I get everything in place.

Since the expensive item is the TV, I have to skimp on the sound for now. But, when I get a chance to build the rec room next year (and hopefully, have extra cash), I plan on moving the Onkyo HTS650 down there and gettting a better sound system for the Living Room. That room is square with only 1 door and will probably have a 20 inch TV hanging in the corner, just so I have TV and decent sound when playing pool or air hockey.

- Fred

9. Fred Grambs

Fred Grambs Auditioning

As promised, here's is the rebate info I have.
    The form is labelled Toshiba January Rebate Days and the address is out of Louisville, KY labelled program 2003-T2. The dealer said it was from their distributor, so you may have to look around at the smaller dealers. My store's name is next to number 160, so there's a potential of a lot of smaller vendors running this promo.
    It appears to be run by a company located at www.lsyms.com/ntaa and is effective from January 16,2003 to January 25, 2003.
    The following models are rebated:
    34HD82, 34HDX82 - $200
    15DL72, 57H82, 57HDX82 - $100
    SD3815 - $10
    BTW, I got the 57HDX82 and is should be delivered on Wednesday. I would up buying the Denon surround package DHT483XP, because it sounded good, was in the same price range and ease of financing.
    Hope the rebate info helps some people.
    Fred