new setup, auido dropout woes

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sean Ehlert, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Sean Ehlert

Sean Ehlert Auditioning

I've just finished setting up my home theater (on the cheap), and need some advice. I bought a Philips 30PW8402/37 HDTV, a Magnavox MDV455/17B DVD Player, and had a Panasonic HT-05 receiver. My problem comes from audio dropouts from the dvd player.

It's using a coax connection (i've tried numerous video cables, and a "designed for" digital audio rca cable), and with each I get dropouts every 5 minutes or so. I have tried using my STA 8300HD DVR with the coax connection, and everything works fine, so I'm reletively certain the problem lays within the dvd player.

If anyone has any suggestions, i'm open to anything. I've sent Philips an email but have yet to hear back from them. The player only has a coax connection so using optical is out of the question.

Any ideas? think the player is defective? Odd part is, before my tv arrived, I had it hooked up to my other tv through the same receiver and watched a movie just fine, it wasn't until I switched tv's that I started having this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help....woe is me

2. John S

John S Producer

Well the display shouldn't have anything to do with it. I do suppose there is an off chance the TV is throwing some EMF interference causing it. Does it do it when the display is comepletely turned off. Try that just for diagnosis purposes.

I'd try a different DVD player for sure if it still drops out with the display off. Even a cheapie you can return would probably reveal the drop out issue.

With the display off, if it does not drop out, an Ultra ultra shielded cable routed as far away from the display as possible would be the only thing to try. Beside possibly returning the display. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I used to get audio dropouts when I had my receiver in an enclosed cabinet. The heat would cause it to dropout. If your receiver is enclosed in a cabinet with little ventilation, it might be the cause.