What's new

New setup - 5.1 w/ ps2 q's..... (1 Viewer)

kilianW

Auditioning
Hey all,
i am new around here and to the whole av world.
here is my setup (just purchased & setup yesterday).
marantz 4400 receiver.
reference audio speakers (fronts, rears & centre) unsure of model.
rca 49" hdtv.
what my main question is;
i am hooking up my ps2 via component. now the wire i bought has the cmpt linked to the audio.
what i am wondering is how i can get surround from my ps2?
what i am guessing is 1 of 2 options.....
1) split the actual cable so that i have the cmpt. running to the tv and the audio to the receiver? is this even possible?
2) run the audio and the cmpt. to the receiver and then another cmpt. to the tv off the receiver.
as i said, i am rather new to this, so go easy on me.
heh! :D :D :D

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum! There are multiple ways to do this.

1. My preferred way: Run the component cables, including the red/white audio jacks directly to the tv. This way you can use the tv speakers if you want. Run a digital optical cable from the ps2 to the receiver. You need this digital connection anyway to get the benefits of 5.1 surround sound. I assume there are some ps2 titles in 5.1 though I haven't bought a game in a year. You may have to go into the ps2 menu to enable the 5.1 audio output but you can use both simultaneously, so you just have to make that menu selection once.

2. Not as elegant way - you can run the component cables through your receiver. This does nothing for the video signal except add another place where you can have problems. It also means your surround sound is limited to stereo by the red/white two channel connection, which means your receiver can create a surround environment, but it's not true 5.1. If you go this way, you can also connect it digitally just like described above.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you got the component video cable (purchased separately), it will NOT carry audio. Component video is video only, and this cable is the only way you can put the PS2 into progressive (if it is a newer model). If you got standard A/V cable red/white/yellow, you CANNOT get surround for DVDs; you will need an optical digital cable to the receiver for this. If you plan on watching a lot of movies, I'd get the add on remote also.

kilianW

Auditioning
i am going to run the cmpt. cable to the tv from the ps2 and a fibre optic cable from my ps2 to the receiver.
i already have a dvd (cmpt ready) player, so ps2 movie watching.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Next question will probably be about how to turn on DD and DTS...:D DD is easy, but DTS can be a bit confusing - you have to actually put a DVD in before the menu options are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks