What's new

New set of Disney Treasures sets - B&W Mickey, Complete Goofy, Wartime Cartoons, Behi (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
Thanks to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits Rumor Mill for this bit of info - does this mean we'll get to see Wartime Disney fare as Der Fuehrer's Face (Donald Duck In Nutzyland), Education For Death, The New Spirit/Spirit Of '43, The Seven Wise Dwarfs, and other lost WWII shorts, or just a rehash of popular cartoons from "an Officer And A Duck" and such?

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I love the Disney's treasures collection and I'm really looking forward to the next wave. I do hope some of the more harsh wartime toons get included. I saw Education for Death in my animation history class, and it's quite the peice of propoganda, very effective. I'm really looking forward to Mickey black and white as well, as the colour mickeys were made in his declining years. I expect a complete donald duck will be coming with wave 3, I do hope they also run a collection of the threesome toons which starred all three of the big names. It's an excellent line of dvd's and I'm really looking forward to what's in store for us in the coming years.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
As long as we don't get more info, any guess as to the contents of the wartime set could be as good as any other.

I'll suggest some possibilities:

What does that word "wartime" mean, anyway? Couldn't it be just about anything from the 1939-45 time frame? It seems more likely, though, that it would indicate specific wartime themes.

The 6-7 shorts from the old "Officer And A Duck" VHS and LD compilation should probably be a given. But that would not be enough for a 2-DVD set.

In addition, I think there are just a few Goofy shorts with similar themes. At least one: "Victory Vehicles".

Then there are a few shorts that we suspect Disney of hiding from us. The big question: Will we see "Der Fuehrer's Face" and "Education For Death" this time?

To sum up so far, I'd say we could get all war-themed "theatrical shorts" on this set if we're lucky.

Could we then expect anything else?

The feature-length "Victory Through Air Power" has been rumoured.

Then there are lots of shorts that are not considered "theatrical" but were still distributed for public exposure, such as "The New Spirit", "The Spirit Of '43" and others funded by U.S. Government agencies during the war.

There were also numerous army instruction shorts. It would be interesting if we could get to see a few of those.

Quote:

"I expect a complete donald duck will be coming with wave 3, I do hope they also run a collection of the threesome toons which starred all three of the big names."

I think a complete DD would be a bit too much to expect, at least in just one "wave" or one 2-DVD volume.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They must not have sold very well, though. At only 150,000 sets each, there are still truckloads to be found at Costco and many copies still in most stores (saw multiple copies of all 4 in the local Best Buy last weekend).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think Leonard Maltin mentioned that Education For Death and Der Fuher's Face will be on the DVD.

Plus, Disney is allowing the AMPAS to show a print of Der Fuher's Face at their Oscar winning cartoon show.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
That would be fantastic - I only recently got to see these cartoons in 16mm Realvideo dubs thanks to the Goopy Gear website, and it was the first time in over twenty years that I had seen DFF in the home of a private collector in Toronto, Reg Hartt.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
The Disney Treasures may not have been bestsellers but they probably sold enough to be worthwhile, at least. I also think it shows us that there IS someone at Disney with a love for their historical material and a wish for us to be able to see it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks