New SED Display Technology?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd McF, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

2. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

todd.. I read that as well.. sounds like a promising technology.. it also sounds like we may be seeing the first sets next year.. wonder if that will bring oled to the tv market quicker.. of course then there is always lcos.. man the future looks "bright" [​IMG]

jim

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

AFAIK, it's never been shown in public or even to the Press. It should have the image quality of a direct view CRT, but in the form factor of plasma and LCD. Extremely promising, but as with all things, it depends on the price point.

I hear it may debut at CES in January.

4. Tod

Tod Agent

I'm holding out for this technology before I buy my first thin screen. For now, my 36" XBR450 CRT will have to hold me over.

I want CRT quality in a thin screen (which is the promise of SEDs).

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

STILL hasn't been shown!

6. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Maybe buy the time I can afford an LCD or DLP display this new display will hit the market at a similar price. I normally wouldn't care to wait for the next big thing. However, if it's a clearly a better display, I also wouldn't like to be stuck with something that has just been made obsolete.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Don't get me wrong...I'm very high on this technology too. Just wish they'd show it somewhere! The longer it drags on, the more 'vapourous' it seems to be.

8. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

I don't think they'd just drop a product on the market. They'd press release the models, then take orders, etc. That can even take months even longer. Look at the Phillips LCOS. I've read that was supposed to be shipping like last summer. Then some trickled in but were defective. Then they disappeared. Now they aren't shipping until June or so.

9. Tod

Tod Agent

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It's just that with all the "just over the horizon" technology I've seen at CES, CED has never been one of them! At 2003 CES, there was a rumour that the 2004 CES would see the product introduced, but that didn't happen.

I still vividly recall seeing the JVC D'Ahlia in 2001 (IIRC). It looked positively stunning to me, then took nearly 2 years to come out, finally hit the showrooms, then quickly vanished!