New Secrets Progressive Scan Shootout!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeSRC, Jan 14, 2003.

1. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

2. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

ARGH went around to 2 Fry's, called up 3 others, none of them had it in stock [​IMG] (the RP82)

3. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Not a surprise to see the $200 RP82 at the top of the list even over higher overpriced models. The RP82 was the best DVD player purchase I have ever made, and I am just glad I got one of the last ones because looking at the cheap price of the new Panasonic models I am afraid they might not have Sage FLi2200 deinterlacer or the superior RP91 MPEG decoder like the RP82 has.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Man, the RP82 really cleaned up!

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I am so happy I found an RP82 last week. This player continues to please.

Call me crazy but I like my RP82 so much I thought about putting it back in its box and archiving it. Kind of like a classic sports car...LOL . But then a great player like this is meant to be used.

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

7. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

8. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

The news here is that the much ballyhooed Sony and Pioneer units are in the bottom third of the list. As video goes, they aren't even competitive. Maybe they should drop the video portion of their units since all of these accolades must be based on the audio portion. Secrets states in the article that the Pioneers exhibit the worst Chroma errors. Think about all of the other units that use Pioneer as the guts of the units ........... including the new $3500 Lexicon. .....and the article further states that as measurements go, that each Sony flagship that is released fails to better the unit it is replacing.

These are good old-fashioned hard facts to go with the touchy-feely reviews of these units.

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Where can I buy the RP82 is what I ask.

10. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Man, I decided on a whim to replace my Sony 700p and buy an RP-82 back in November. I am really glad I got one before the demand exploded and then Panasonic decided to discontinue them. I haven't had a player with video quality this accurate since I sold my Sony 7000.
    Randy[​IMG]

11. Dale Ridgeway

Dale Ridgeway Stunt Coordinator

very interesting article.
    Geez, it makes it sound like all other dvd players are a piece of garbage [​IMG]

12. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Stacey,
    I understand the position of the shootout, and applaud the excellent work. [​IMG]
    However, if the intent of the shootout is video quality on all discs, not just many discs, then shouldn't such a shootout also consider all display devices or at least most big TVs, where the differences are actually readily noticeable?
    IF that's the case, then shouldn't a thorough shootout also consider something like scaling/aspect ratio control as important in the grand scheme of things? Afterall, there are still tons of non-16x9 letterboxed DVDs out there, and many may never get replaced, especially if HD-DVD comes sooner than later. Yes, most HDTVs has a zoom mode, but the quality will not be nearly as good in most cases. In fact, that's why we want the 3:2 pulldown on the player, not the TV.
    I'm not suggesting that scaling/aspect ratio control be weighted as heavily as linedoubling, but IMHO, it should be a significant factor in any thorough shootout. Afterall, this shootout essentially trashes ALL players that don't use a Faroudja linedoubler even though the players that do use one cannot do scaling/aspect ratio control for the large amount of non-16x9 DVDs on the market.
    FYI, I do not own ANY progressive scan player (yet), so I'm not trying to justify $$$ spent. I definitely do want to get the best player for my $$$, but the Panny RP82 is definitely not the clear cut best choice for me that the shootout (and all the Panny lovers) would suggest. And I'm not a Panny hater either since I recently bought a Panny 53" TV and feel it's a great TV for the $$$. At the moment, I'm hoping that the Philips 963sa will fit the bill for me, but we shall see.
    Again, excellent work and excellent article. [​IMG] Even if it doesn't address all my questions/concerns, it does go a long way to making the decision easier. Certainly, I wouldn't be anticipating a player w/ the Faroudja fli2300 chip, if not for the fine work done by you people. [​IMG]
    Here's looking forward to your upcoming addition of the Philips 963sa to the shootout!
    _Man_

14. StaceyS

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

16. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

I have a Toshiba 57H81 and when I use it's excellent zoom modes to correct non-anamorphic or 4:3 DVDs I get no more visible scan lines then I do without zooming it. If you have an HDTV with decent zoom modes, you won't even need the scaling therefore you can have the superior RP82 PQ in all modes on all discs.

17. StaceyS

I had the Tosh TW40X80 (or 81, I forget) Its zoom blew up the image and made the scan lines visible too.

Sounds like the 57H81 is actually scaling now instead of expanding the raster.

Good to hear that Pany actually allows you to adjust it.

You have to be careful with letting the DVD player do the scaling. Some displays are limited on the amount of samples the A/D makes per line. Digital displays usually take no more than 720p line on 480p sources. If you feed a 4:3 image in with bars on the side, you will loose horizontal resolution becuase samples are being wasted on black bars. This should not be a problem when using the zoom feature.

The best way to find out if your display is doing this or not is to look at the 200 TVL pattern on Avia. When you loose resolution, you will see moire in the wedge.

18. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

StaceyS

19. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

Man,
    That's a perfectly good suggestion to add aspect control to the criteria. One reason we've avoided it is that it opens a whole can of worms related to "features." Not everyone needs aspect control, so we feel uncomfortable taking off points if the player has it. On the other hand, all of our current criteria has a direct and visible effect on the picture. Also, each thing we add takes a significant amount of time when you multiply it by the number of players we look at.
    We also have discussed testing things like 4:3 downconversion, but again that's more things to add, and it only affects some people.
    Perhaps there's just a touch of personal bias in there -- both Stacey and I have had 16x9 tvs that handle aspect control perfectly well for years. Perhaps if one of us had a 4x3 TV and the other had a 16x9 TV that locked into "full" mode we'd change our criteria. [​IMG]
    In general, I think scaling on the DVD player is a very handy feature, but it's not a fundamental video quality issue. We should remember to mention if a player has a good and usable aspect control feature. Some players use chips with excellent scaling, but don't really expose the scaling features in a very easy-to-use way.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Don

20. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

So why is the Denon-1600 not covered in this shoot out? Is it because it is based on the 82 or that they had a review of it last year?
    Not that I need it to see that this unit's picture is just about perfect!
    Just curious.....[​IMG]