New Screen for HTPC help...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeGee, Dec 12, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Hey guys
    I have decided i want to move my computer into my home theatre room. Audio wise i have everything i could ever want in a system.

Since i use my computer every day i would think that a projector is overkill. However i need somthing that is bigger than a 19" computer monitor to see from my couch.

I have a question tho. Future Shop has a deal right now on a 30" Toshiba Widescreen CRT tv that is HDTV. Would this be an ideal set for running my PC off of?
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

Also since the price is decent, it would allow me in my budget to also get an entry level projector for movie use.

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Well, hardly ideal since it has no VGA connector, I'd say. I'm also suspicious as to whether or not this is a HDTV set or a HDTV compatible set... ie, is it actually HDTV or can it just scale down HDTV and show it?

3. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I noticed it had no VGA connector. If i used the Video out on my graphics card would that be similar to using the VGA output? (If my future screen doesnt have a VGA input)

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

That TV is HD (does not scale HD images down)... it just doesn't have a built in ATSC tuner/cable card slot. (which is totally useless here in Canada anyways for the most part!)

If you have a fairly high end video card (6600 or better) then you should be able to run DVI from the video card and get it to work really well with the TV, but I have yet to try this on a CRT TV, only DLP and LCD.

That is a great looking price on that TV BTW!

5. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I think i might end up getting that TV, i've always liked it.

As for graphics cards, MY Computer has a fairly older graphics card. GeForce 4 MX440.
    Exactly like the one pictured here http://www.nt.ru/nt-opt/products/02/...ges/g02743.jpg
    I am thinking about running this on an S-video cable to that tv..

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you run an S-Video cable you'll be outputting standard TV.

In other words, you'll see a nicely colored splotchy blur.

DVI or VGA, those are your choices if you want to use high resolutions on the HDTV.

7. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    You'll probably need to bite the bullet and upgrade that crappy MX440 to a newer video card which supports DVI output.