What's new

new sci-fi movies? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
You woulda thunk after Matrix making ten gazillion dollars, it would pave the way for more hard sci-fi movies. not so far... What do we have to do to get more real sci fi movies? (more like niven, heinlein, gibson, not xmen 3 crap)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Hollywood only sees the surface of things, thus The Matrix only paved the way for wire-fu in fashionable clothing.

To get hard sci-fi on-screen you need some risk-taker to make one which goes on to become a big hit and there doesn't appear to be anything in serious development right now.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
There's two that I can think of. There's "The Fountain" coming out later this year and James Cameron's mega Sci-Fi secret project.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A Scanner Darkly is also coming.

Hard sci-fi doesn't sell as well. As The Matrix Trilogy got more into harder sci-fi territory (also known as philosophy ;) ), fans got less enamored of it. Contact made less money than Men in Black.

It's a good year, with A Scanner Darkly and The Fountain.

That's a win :)

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
As far as I know there is a project to film Arthur C. Clarkes "Rendezvouz with Rama", one of my favorite science fiction books. Morgan Freeman and David Fincher are supposed to be involved, but I have not heard anything new about it for a year or so.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think part of the problem is The Matrix ... after you've seen the Matrix, really I think almost every sci-fi trailer now gets a "oh, its a Matrix rip-off" response from the audience during a preview.

Then again, Aeon Flux and that other one with Milla Jovovich just looked like bad movies to boot.

AlexCremers

Second Unit

What trailers of what sci-fi movies? All I keep seeing are comic book adaptations. Where is the real sci-fi film?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I know people will laugh if I mention the new Superman movie in this thread; but just think about it for a moment:

1. He's the last surviving alien from a species indigenous to another galaxy.

2. His "superpowers" are derived from a combination of the lesser gravity of earth (compared to his native Krypton) and the less-dense properties of our "yellow" sun (again compared to the denser "red" sun of his native solar system).

Doesn't this classify the film as Science Fiction??

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's one of the ones that's in development hell :)

I guess the Masters of Sci-Fi spin-off of Masters of Horror should be mentioned, although that's television.

I can't seem to get excited by A Scanner Darkly because of the "animation". I'm afraid I'd get a migraine watching an entire movie in that style :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks