What's new

New Saving Private Ryan DVD Question (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

I'm with you. If I had the DD version then I'd get the newer version but the DTS version is just fine for me.

Real Name
Anthony
Can't see any yet.

It looks very like the only way to get the new edition with DTS is to buy the collector's set. So I'd need to know more about the quality and duration of the extras before considering a double-dip on this one.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I called and confirmed. There are two different versions that are available in Canada. The English version has both DD & dts 5.1.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Any reviews on this bad boy yet? With a little over a week to go, I'm surprised nobody has gotten their hands on a copy.

Chris

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I received the 2-DVD set yesterday. Unless there are two separate 60th Anniversary editions out there, the film does NOT have a DTS track (this is the US R1 version). Only English and French DD 5.1 tracks.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Extras aren't much to speak of. A 20-minute making of, a couple of 5-10 minute featurettes and essays on events depicted in the movie. All in all, not really worth the upgrade, particularly, if like me, you were primarily after the DTS track. Nice case, though.

Real Name
Anthony
As far as I can gather, the DTS track is EXCLUSIVE to the box set that also includes the two WWII documentaries.

There are only two versions available ; the two-disc set with 5.1 and the French track, and the Box set.

I've seen no evidence that there is a third set, consisting of the two-disc with DTS.

What a rip-off.:angry:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Why would Spielberg go for that? He has a stake in DTS, right. The more discs that go out with DTS, the more he stands to make, right? Most of his films are available with a DTS track, that you don't have to buy as part of a boxed set. What's the point, just to sucker people into buying a boxed set?

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Sorry if this has been covered, but I completely forgot about this release and now I am pumped.

I have the original DD release, so I am looking to get the DTS of the new one.

From what I gather, the DTS is only on the Collector's Set. What is the difference between the Collector's Set and the 2 Disc?

Ken Kool

Auditioning

it has the Saving Private Ryan (DTS Edition), Shooting War & Price for Peace.

im glad that i ordered the World War II Collection Set, but Universal sucks :thumbsdown:

greg_t

Screenwriter

I don't believe this to be the case. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that DTS liceneses their encoders out to the studios. I don't think the studios pay a per title fee, they merely pay the licensing fee for the encoder. It is then at the studios discretion as to which titles get DTS tracks.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Still, it is odd that Spielberg is going for this. This is one guy who could dictate how his films are release.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Maybe he has other projects he is working on and isn't involved in all aspects of the dvd production and promotion.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I like the look of the packaging of this set.

Is the case metal or plastic...or is it just a picture of an ammo box?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks