1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Saturn Vue!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to decide on a new car. Which SUV should I get?

Top two choices:

2002 Ford explorer

2002 Saturn Vue

Considering:

2002 Ford Exscape

2002 Jeep Liberty

2002 Hyundia Santa Fe

I made my mind on the Explorer but, then I got chance to drive the new Saturn Vue this Week and I was impressed. The Ford has more room and the Saturn had that look to it. You know how you have to make that decision when there are two things in front of you and, you want both of them.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

The new Explorer had some pretty good crash test ratings. I don't know about the Vue.

Depending on what your budget is you might want to take a look at an Acura MDX. This thing is top notch. Drove one when they first came out. I jammed this thing into a 90 degree right turn going 35 mph and no tire squealing and minimal if any roll. Definitely the best driving SUV I've tried. I presently have an 96 Explorer XLT V8 which does have significant body roll.

Patrick

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

While I *am* partial to Saturns, conventional wisdom says stay away from any model in it's first year...

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I really like the Santa Fe... Great price for great features... Pretty good reiliability so far, and looks nice too...
    A fully-loaded SantaFe with leather, sunroof, and the Autostick/manumatic/sportshift or whatever they call it (Designed by Porsche, same system used in many other luxury car makers such as AUDI in their last gen lineup... I believe the new ones use a Tranny system called 'CVT') goes for only about $28,000 CAD [​IMG] (approx $20,000 USD)
    [​IMG]
    The liberty is very solidly and ruggedly built, but i hate the silver plastic on the radio/climate controls and the steering wheel... feel very cheap...

5. Lisel

Lisel Stunt Coordinator

Only the Liberty Limited has the silver accents (which, FWIW, I like); the Sport model doesn't.

Lisel

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick

7. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

I've drove the Hyundai(rented one and took it to Universal Studios) and I can say that it did have a great ride but, the materials same kind of cheap. I didn't know that they came installed with sunroofs? Maybe aftermarget?

Jason,

I really liked the Liberty but, was unaware of the airbag issue. I took it for a test after I drove the PR Cruiser, man in that car sweet.

Joel,

I too am worry about the first year of a brand new model. But Saturn normally has a high safety rating, can't forget that.

Charles

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Sorry to be such a downer but stay away from DaimlerChrysler products unless their Mercedes Benz's. The reliability of their vehicles is abysmal. Same thing with Hyundai although they are getting better but remember this is their first try at a SUV.

Stick with Toyota's, Honda/Acura's, Nissan's and even the Ford Explorer otherwise you'll find out what repairs on a SUV's cost (which are almost always higher than for cars).

Patrick