What's new

New Sanyo Z1 owner with a question! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_S

Agent
To be completely accurate, I ordered a Z1 but haven't got my grubby little hands on it yet (hopefully tomorrow!)... however, I do have some questions for all you experienced Z1 owners out there.

How much of a gain in DVD playback PQ can I expect going from an Xbox (un-modded so non-progressive scan) to a cheap progressive scan DVD player (say a CyberHome CH-DVD 300)? Is it subtle or in-your-face impressive?

Also, how is the line doubler in the Z1 for non-progressive sources such as analog/digital (non-HD) cable? Tivo (stand-alone or DirecTivo)? Most of the posts I have read pretty much just talk about DVD or HD playback.

Thanks for all your help!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This really is a question of how good the "doubling" is in the Z1. Basically, going from the x-box's 480i) to the standalone player's 480p, and blown up on a large screen, you will see subtle changes. Things to look out for are shimmering subtitles, edges & lines that should disappear when you switch to progressive 480p. I am not familiar with this brand of dvd player so another thread in the Audio/Video sources area dealing with this Cyberhome dvd player may be in order.

Jeff_S

Agent
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your response. I think I'm going to go with the Toshiba SD-3900 DVD player ($99) over the Cyberhome. Once I get it and my DIY screen built, I'll keep an eye out for the things you suggested. Thanks again!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Do you need to get this DVD player right away? Not to suggest anything against the Toshiba but you may want to post a thread in the Audio/Video section with those possible DVD players, as well as some JVC's, Sony's, Panasonics etc. There may be a possible Chroma issue with the Toshiba.

Jeff_S

Agent
I don't NEEEEED it right away... just that it would seem to be an awful shame to have my brand spanking new Z1 (arrived at lunch time!) without a progressive scan capable DVD player. ;) You're right, I will post something in the AV section and hope for some good responses.

I had about an hour to play with the Z1 and so far, I really like what I see. I was really worried that the ambient light in my room was going to make the Z1 unwatchable during the day but I was pretty satisfied. I admit that the black levels weren't all that but that was during probably the brightest time of the day and I haven't calibrated it yet either. I was also projecting it at a too-small piece of white poster board (my walls have too much texture) so I'm hoping once I get around to building my DIY screen, the PQ will have improved.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As you expand the image, you will lose brightness. I would sugegst a nice gray or silver DIY screen to improve the black levels. Do some experimentation on some sheets that you can apply on the wall to see colour differences if you have the time. In addition, you can check for various threads here on DIY screens. Try doing a search. Also check my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks