What's new

New Samsung 70" LCD W/500,000:1 Contrast ratio (1 Viewer)

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._behemoth.html

Not a lot of details but the caveat being:
"This LED backlight also boasts Samsung's very own local dimming technology that turns off in dark image areas to deliver a contrast ratio that is guaranteed to drop jaws - 500,000 to 1!"

Perhaps real blacks at last with the on/off/dimming technology that localized LEDs can offer. A decent technological direction to pursue.

I've been impressed by Sony's latest LCD XRBs. These newer LCDs are not the gray washed-out compromises of yesterday.

Kudos to Samsung. Let's wait and see if this technology works as well in real file.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
someone was showing a custom ~35" set a few years ago that did this. I can't remember how many, but they had a matrix of LEDs behind the screen that were dynamically throttled based on content to give a rediculous contrast range.

If I recall properly, they wanted something like $40,000 for a set, and it was water-cooled. But it wasn't Samsung, and it wasn't really a production set; it was more of a tech demonstration that they'd custom build one for anyone who'd cough up the cash.

Leo

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

That was the Brightside HDR. Not water cooled, they had coolant and radiators out the wazoo. But it was ridiculously bright as well, it doesn't look like the samsung is at all this bright, looks LDR to me based on the picture there, which obviously would reduce the need for such a monstrous cooling system on the brightside display.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Apple is releasing a LED backlight for their new Powerbook and LED backlit monitors are coming out from other makers of LCD screens. I look forward to seeing what Samsung, Panasonic, etc. have done with their new lines at CEDIA this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks