New SACD titles/lack of new stand alone player announcements= 222es for me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

After this years CES, it has become evident to me that Sony is going to make SACD a success even if it never becomes the next mainstream format. With Floyd, The Who, new Dylan Hybrids, the Police, and the entire Gabriel catalog on the way, I could no longer hold back on upgrading my SACD player to a 222es (775 now going to the girlfriend's). I had been toying around with the idea for awhile, but now the software for me finally justifies an upgrade.

Coupled with the lack of any decently priced SACD audio only players announced, and Sony's silence on new models in the pipeline, I didn't want to miss out on an audio only player (this could be Sony's plan to move old models, but oh well). I ordered this player today from J and R, which still has stock, for $380 with free shipping.

With a 5 year warranty this player should serve me well for the future even in just redbook duties should a player more enticing come down the path. 5 Disc changers, and in particular 5 disc audio only players are starting to become a rarity these days, making this (and the now discontinued 555es) two of the last and best in this dying breed. I can't wait to give this player a listen in my system.

J

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Justin, the very same calculus landed a C555ES (the Oade Bros. last C555ES, no less) in my house!
    After also upgrading my receiver and then my speakers over the course of the last year, I can honestly say that the addition of the SACD player was the biggest, most revolutionary upgrade of all (not to mention the cheapest*!).
    (*But factor in the not-too-great cost of a B-stock Outlaw ICBM-1!)
    Though I can't say my interest in music ever truly waned, I have in a sense rediscovered the joys of recorded music all over again. I wait with anticipation my weekly Tuesday trips to the record store (that's where you'll find my on lunch hour!), and I've discovered new artists and rediscovered old ones. Simply put, none of my other audio upgrades have brought me such satisfaction and joy as did the C555ES. It truly begins with the source, and no downstream component can put back what wasn't there to begin with. In a way, I've rediscovered music (at least recorded music).
    I wish for you the same! [​IMG]

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Justin,

I have a SCD-C222es as well, but if you are going from a 775, you should try to find a 555es if you can instead. Don't get me wrong, the 222es is great, but I don't know if the difference in SACD playback will be that much better than the 775 since they use the same DAC's. You might be slightly happier with the 555es and the difference will likely be more apparent - just my advice. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reg

4. Justin Lane

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I hear ya Justin. You will be happy with the SCD-C222es. I am surprised that you can even still find one. I use a Denon DVD-1600 for DVD-A and it compliments my 222es fine in my system. The Paay Ra60 is a very good unit for the money, and since DVD-A seems to be releasing very little of interest these days (Elv1s being an exception), you rprobably wouldn't want to invest to much in a DVD-A only player right now.

Reg

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, nice pick-up. I think you will be impressed with the 'C222ES relative to the 'CE775 in all facets of the game -- build quality and CD and SACD performance, for example. Give us a review once you've received the 'C222ES. Will you be able to compare it to the 'CE775 or has the 'CE775 already relocated? [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Congrats on the new player, Justin. My situation was similar to Rich Malloy's, and I am very happy that I did not wait to purchase a 555ES before they disappeared. I prefer a carousel player for music, and my old Sony 5-disc player was the weakest link in my audio chain (it's been demoted to the secondary music-only system in our basement/recreation room). The 555ES really improved redbook CD performance in my system, and the few SACD's I've purchased have been a treat.

8. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Justin,

You will enjoy your 222ES. I was on the fence with the 555 vs 222 and couldn't get myself to spend the extra 200.00. I am glad I got the 222ES. It was a huge improvement from my Tosh dvd player. The extra 200.00 I saved also got me a Panny RP-82 DVD-a player so now I have the best(well not the best in HiFi) of both worlds. After never having a cd changer before, I feel there is no other way!

9. Justin Lane

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin said:

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've owned the 775, the 222ES, and currently the 555ES. The difference between either ES and the 775 is huge. If one intends to use the SACD as their main redbook player, definitely go with an ES. 555 has bit more to offer on the SACD end than the 222, but it's not as large a difference than with the 775.

12. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I've also just pulled the trigger on a 222ES, purchased from J&R last week. I was hoping to get the player by this this weekend but they took 4 business days to finally ship the unit. I picked up a couple of SACDs at Best Buy, Beck's Sea Change and The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks to get me started. I'm pretty damn excited[​IMG]

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Peter, great! Let us know how you like the 'C222ES. What have you been using for CDs?

14. Justin Lane

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

justin/peter -
    as someone who is still on the fence (but swaying mightily towards hi-res audio) i would also be interested to hear your real-world experiences with this player.
    be sure to post your review/thoughts!
    btw - congrats. color me green...
    [​IMG]

16. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Justin/Ted:

The 222ES absolutely rocks for redbook, you won't be disappointed.

Good CDs to test the player's mettle include some of Mark Knopfler's stuff, including his solo work and ensembles such as the Travelling Wilburrys (forgive my spelling). He and his peers seem to ensure their music is recorded properly (levels not to high, etc.).

I have a question for the group: I'm interested in finding out if CD player DAC technology has contributed to the 222ES sound, and if so, does this mean that comparably priced players from a decade ago sound inferior? If so, why, exactly?

17. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Keith:
    I've been my trusty Rotel RCD-951 for redbook for a couple of years now. If the 222ES surpasses the unit, I'll be selling it. The unit does have Burr Brown DACs so it will be interesting to see which player wins out.
    Justin:
    You should get the 222ES before I do...damn you[​IMG] I'm most interested in the units redbook performance so please post your impressions.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Peter,
    I feel the Rotel '951 will be a good test for the 'C222ES. Rotel makes nice CD players (I have my eye on their new RCC-1055 changer). Definitely post your impressions of the 'C222ES relative to the '951.
    Justin and Peter,
    I am surprised to hear of the shipping delays from J&R. That's unusual. [​IMG]
    Ted,
    *KeithH takes out his green magic marker.* [​IMG]
    You gotta jump to hi-rez. Come on! The magic bus will be leaving the station soon! [​IMG]

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

c'mon keith -
    the only thing i've tempted you with is a measly 15 dollar investment in a U2 cd.
    you're asking me to take a leap that will clearly cost me lots of money for the rest of my life!
    play fair now! [​IMG]

20. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Argh, it's friday and no 222ES. Did you get yours yet Justin?