What's new

New RUSH song (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, I posted about the song a few days ago...so far I'm disappointed, but usually their singles are the weakest on the album.

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
I have not given the lyrics a chance to settle in as of yet, but the music is just what doctor ordered. I have also heard (from those who have heard the entire disc) that this is the worst song of the buch. Take that with a grain of salt as each person's opinion is different, but I think this may be the strongest release in years from the boys.

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
After the long wait, I would pleased to have anything, but this is just fine with me. I know it's not the best quality recording, but I sure like the drumming.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Go to the following link for a very good quality MP3 of the new single:
Link Removed
(I am in no way affiliated with this link.)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Alright...the song is starting to grow on me. However, what's with the lyrics? Definitely not typical Rush.

Another chance at victory

Another chance to score

What the hell is that? Is this a Rush song or a [insert mainstream radio band name here] song?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Mmm...

I loved Counterparts but felt Test For Echo sounded like a band trying to be a hard-rock outfit instead of the muti-layered, highly musical and adult-orientated group of people I've respected for many years. This song takes the feelings I have about TFE and builds on them, unfortunately.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link. Just listened to it... wow, that's pretty heavy for them. OK, I admit I'm just happy to see any new Rush material, but this sounds good, and I can't wait to hear the album. One thing about Rush (and whether or not you like that is your opinion) is that they're always conscious of how rock music changes. Right now, the heavy stuff is in, and Rush seems willing to rise up to the challenge. However, they always make sure to put the Rush stamp on it, and it's great.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
First impression: Pretty good. Definitely heavier then they've been in a while. However, it still sounds a bit too much like late 80's-90's Rush for my taste. That's not a bad thing because for the most part I like that work but it's not my favorite section of their catalog. I was introduced to Rush through Moving Pictures, followed by Signals and Permanent Waves. I prefer the recordings prior to and including that period. I still listen to 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres on a very regular basis. With the exception of Counterparts and Test for Echo I never seem to have the urge to listen to the albums after Signals.

BTW, I don't think that they should try to re-create the early 80's work. I'm glad that they evolve and explore with their music. I just miss the giddy reaction that I used to have with a new Rush song. The first time I heard The Camera Eye was amazing. I don't have that reaction with Rush anymore and I miss it.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. I hope that the new album is this heavy throughout. It sounds pretty good to me.

NP: Spock's Beard Beware of Darkness

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Jim_C,

Good to see another Beard fan on the forum. A band that definitely doesn't get the recognition they deserve. Over the last few years, I think they've taken over Rush as my favorite rock band.

Scott

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Good to see another Beard fan on the forum. A band that definitely doesn't get the recognition they deserve. Over the last few years, I think they've taken over Rush as my favorite rock band.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh there are plenty of us Spock's Beard fans on here. You only need to mention them. ;)
The new song reminds me of Stick it Out somewhat. I expect that I'll have the same reaction to the album, that the other songs will be better. It is still a pretty good song, tho.
Jason

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, there are a few of us here. I have Mike Broadman to thank for getting me to try SB. There's been no looking back since. I've got all of the studio albums, Neal Morse's first solo album, and the Transatlantic albums. Of course, once exposed to Ronnie Stolt via Transatlantic I had to get all of the Flower Kings albums.

For me, it all started when I saw Spock's Beard perform 'The Light' opening for Dream Theater back in [I think] 1997. I went through the same progression with The Flower Kings though...once I heard Roine with Transatlantic I was hooked. If you don't already have it, you should definitely get Nick D'Virgilio's solo effort 'Karma'. Much better than Neal's solo work IMO.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Rush is getting my money. I don't know that I'm crazy about anything I've heard so far (not like the night I first heard Moving Pictures for the first time), but I'll give it a chance anyway. After all that band has been through I'm glad to see them back.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I've been a Rush fan since Permanent Waves. It's always interesting to hear reacations to their new stuff. Many people have the initial reaction of "argh, that stinks." But, then the stuff starts to grow on them. I think Rush sounds so different from CD to CD. I think the new tune is a fresh sound for them. I'm giving it a very enthusiastic thumbs up. It's nice to see the band back in action.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I, for one, CANNOT WAIT until May 14th. I've been good so far, only listened to the new track 3 times. Each time a new Rush record comes out, it's the "Hold Out Until The CD Is In Your Hands Before You Listen To Any Of The Tracks" game for me. I tried to do that for T4E, but caved and listened to the "World Premiere" broadcast. And now I hear they're going to be on Rockline on May 8th. Sheesh. I may just lose this game.
As far as OLV goes, I love the drums, I love the heavy guitars (Yay Alex!) and I love that Geddy is going for it again. It is good to have the boys back!
Gwon

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
SWEEEET!!!!!!

I just checked my local venue's summer listing and Rush is scheduled for August 6 at Pittsburgh's Post Gazette Pavillion.

Hopefully, if everything goes well, front row center!

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I like the sound the new album has. It seems very strong and strainght forward. I can't wait to pick up the CD and for the tour to come to chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks